The Cubs are having a street fair outside Wrigley Field. Sort of.

Jun 15, 2011, 10:00 AM EST

Wrigley Field

The Cubs had intended to shut down Sheffield Avenue outside the ballpark for nine days — nine days! — to have a big street fair with bands and food and all kinds of hubub, beginning this weekend to coincide with the Yankees coming to town.  Due to local displeasure at the disruption of traffic and stuff, however, they’re moving the thing off Sheffiled and into a parking lot nearby.

In other news, there are parking lots near Wrigley Field. Who knew?

The thing that stood out in the Chicago Sun-Times article about this all, however, were the comments from the head of a local merchants’ association, explaining the reasoning behind the street fair idea:

“They’re trying to entertain their fans and have an exciting event around the ballpark, even if the team doesn’t win. I don’t think they want to be doing this. The Cubs are not in the street fair business. But, this is what they have to do to stay relevant.”

Ouch. But hey, enjoy the party!

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Chicago Cubs no longer true baseball fans? They need to have parties to draw baseball interest there? Say it isn’t so! Cubs fans have always been known as good and knowledgeable baseball people. What’s this world coming to?

• trevorb06 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:12 AM

They’re just trying to give their fans a show since the team trotting the field can’t.

• aisle424 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:23 AM

“Cubs fans have always been known as good and knowledgeable baseball people.”

We have? Where? I’d like to visit this magical wonderland.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Man, your city must have changed drastically over recent years in regards to baseball, then. The national perception of Cubs fans is that they are knowledgeable and passionate about their team.

Maybe that was 20 years ago or something…

• aisle424 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I don’t recall Cubs fans ever being known as anything but people who only go to the game for the sun and beer. I’m glad there are at least a few people who think otherwise.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:57 AM

The Cubs fans are known to be numerous, not necessarily knowledgeable. That said, living in Chi-City, it is clear that many knowledgeable Cubbies fans do exist. The problem is that they know their team sucks right now. Consequently, the attendance has gone down quite a bit this season and that’s kinda unprecedented in recent times. Even when they suck they sell out, but not this season. There is a mild depression setting in among the fan base. People don’t talk about beating anyone or hoping to beat anyone (even the rival Cards, South Side Saax, or Yankees), they just talk about going to the game, seeing Jeter (wamp wamp wamp), getting smashed in the bleachers, and/or looking at boobs. No one expects the W flag to be raised often this year and morale is definitely low. It’s a sad time to live on the North Side…well, except for all the boobs. They make me smile every day.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:01 AM

You live in Chicago but became a Braves fan. How did that happen, El Bravo?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Bicepts, take me on a date and buy me a beer if you want to get to know me. I’m not that easy.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Lol!!! I will tell you this, El Bravo. If your were born and raised in Chicago and are not either a Cubs or Whitesox fan,but are instead a Braves fan, we in Philly call this a “Violation.”

It would be like being born and raised in Philly and being a Cowboys fan instead of an Eagles fan. They became Cowboy fans because they were wining Superbowls. We weed these people out in Philly and handle them accordingly.

Did you become a Braves fan because of their wining ways back in the day, El Bravo?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I was raised on the east coast and that’s all you’re gonna get. Being a Phillies fan is a violation of common decency and human intelligence.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:28 AM

El Bravo,

I have you figured out. You are as phony as they come as far as fans go. You have probably never even stepped a foot in Atlanta, yet are a Braves fan. You probably became a fan of their team because they were winners when you were growing up and watched them on TBS.

You’re a bandwagon jumper….just admit it.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Halladay, I don’t call it a “violation” to be a Philly-based Cowgirls fan. I call it an “abomination.”

• Alex K - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Bicepts,
        Not everyone grows up in a MLB city. Some of us had to drive a couple hours to see a game. I’m a Cubs fan because when I was growng up they were on TV when I would get home from school.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Alex K,

I agree with you. If you become a fan of the team that is closest to where you live, that’s one thing. There is no violation there. But if you were born and raised in an MLB city and do not become a fan of the team there, you are in total violation.

El Bravo though is in complete violation. He became a fan of the Braves just because they were good.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Bicepts- This is why people get mad at you. Who cares about Bravo’s pedigree, or even yours. This is just a place to hang.
        I’ve always been a Yankees fan, and, since I’m from Tri-State, automatically do not have a “violation”(Which is a weird concept.) But while living in other cities I have found it relevant to participate in the trials and tribulations of the locals, so I have at least some bonding with the Phillies, Mets, Orioles (only game in town from DC at the tine) and gasp-Red Sox. And Tigers and Astros for brief stretches. Doesn’t make me disloyal, just congenial.
        This is not Walter Scott’s Personality Parade- it’s a baseball blog where Craig brings up funny things that can provide a little diversion.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Bicepts,

You are the genital wart hanging on this blog’s proverbial scrotum. Like all genital warts, everyone wishes you would just go away.

Sincerely,
        El Bravo

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Oh, and Cubs and White Sox when I lived in that delightful, animated and prideful Chicago for ten years.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:04 PM

El Bravo,

Struck a chord with you, didn’t I? You know I’m right. You can say suck it to Philly all you want, but at least we are loyal to our own teams, win or lose. And we don’t go and root for other cities teams because our own teams are bad at any give time. It’s a passion that the rest of the country can’t understand, so you feel the need to demean.

You wish I would go away? I’m probably the most interesting thing that has happened to this blog because I tell it like it is and sont blow smoke up peoples butts. If you did not enjoy the debate, why even respond?

• Alex K - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I guess I have aviolation since the Reds were closer.

Len- I did the same thing while a NY resident. If you love baseball then it is a very natural thing to do.

• Tim's Neighbor - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I was around Alex K the summer he became a Cubs fan. He had never liked baseball before and caught the bug. We made him suffer for the summer before accepting him. It was like a summer of hazing. He passed.

• umrguy42 - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Alex, I’m a transplanted Cards fan in upstate NY, but I refuse to enjoy the Yankees, and, having grown up in the 80s, am incapable of enjoying anything but the sorrows of the Mets ;D

• umrguy42 - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Oh, and bicepts, before you start getting all Birther on *me*, I was born in Springfield, IL (the Cards/Cubs boundary line) of parents who came there from St. Louis, and who then moved us back to St. Louis when I was about 3.

• lloydcarr1997 - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Im a transplant to Chicago from Detroit and I like going to Cubs games because of the party vibe. I go to the South Side when the Tigers come to town for baseball.

2. yankeesfanlen - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Wrigley field brings a twinge of nostalgia to all those yuppies who have to WALK 6 blocks between their Beemers parked at Jewel-Osco and the ballpark.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I’d say stop generalizing my town, but you are absolutely dead-on-balls accurate here.

• Alex K - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Hey some of us walk from our apartments to the game! But, yeah, you’re right.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Ah yes. I lived just about a mile from Wrigley while at my first Chicago apt. Nothing like taking off work on a Friday and casually strolling to the ballpark for a 1pm game. The feeling can’t be described. It is much better to just do this and feel the goodness for yourself.

Wrigley literally raised my baseball fandom from the dead in the early 2000’s. I will root for the Cubs and Sox and all other Chicago teams b/c this city has a lot of great fans, strong pride and I love being a part of it. That said, I must and do root for the Braves anytime they play the Chicago teams. Priorities and things…

• Alex K - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM

It is awesome. I like to do it ANY day of the week, but Friday is the best.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Alex K- I thought it was a city ordinance that you had to show up for Friday 1PM games half-blasted on Old Style, to complete the process. And then a baseball game broke out.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Speaking of Chicago….SUCK IT PHILLY! AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Go eat a bag of di*ks!!!!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Seems to me that those dirty d!ck bags are littering the streets of your dirty-ass town.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Hey El Bravo; did you notice that Canadians were quoted there? 1 was even from Toronto, easily the dirtiest of the big Canadian Cities I’ve lived in. Torontonians are immune to dirt. They view litter like a New Yorker views pigeons; part of the ambiance.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:27 PM

I didn’t notice anything b/c I didn’t read the damn thing. These articles have no value other than to piss off bicepts b/c he’s so damn easy to piss off. I’m a fan of Philly and have visited many times. Haven’t seen Toronto yet, but I’m sure it’s nicer than Detroit.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 15, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Wait a minute…Heyward has been to Philly many many times and now it’s the second dirtiest city? Coincidence? I think NOT!!!!!!!

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Yeah, El Bravo, and if you were really from Atlanta, you phony Braves fan, you could revel in the fact that Atlanta is #9 on that list of dirtiest cities….

4. orangeflh - Jun 16, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Cubs fans are also known for getting drunk and body surfing in the urinal troughs. Always good for a laugh.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4502)
  2. M. Kemp (3619)
  3. M. Cabrera (2862)
  4. M. Morse (2547)
  5. J. Kang (2457)
  1. J. Upton (2422)
  2. A. Rios (2157)
  3. C. Headley (2146)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1960)
  5. J. Peavy (1827)