Jun 15, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Nishioka suffered a fractured fibula on April 7 when Nick Swisher of the Yankees slid into him breaking up a double play and in returning he’s expected to shift from second base to shortstop. Opening Day shortstop Alexi Casilla will move to second base, where he’s played for most of his career.
Nishioka was initially said to be out 4-6 weeks, but as has been the case with the Twins’ numerous injuries and their various recovery timetables all season he ended up missing nearly 10 weeks. Joe Mauer, who’s also been out far longer than anticipated, may be in the lineup alongside Nishioka on Friday.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 7
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)