Jun 15, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Nishioka suffered a fractured fibula on April 7 when Nick Swisher of the Yankees slid into him breaking up a double play and in returning he’s expected to shift from second base to shortstop. Opening Day shortstop Alexi Casilla will move to second base, where he’s played for most of his career.
Nishioka was initially said to be out 4-6 weeks, but as has been the case with the Twins’ numerous injuries and their various recovery timetables all season he ended up missing nearly 10 weeks. Joe Mauer, who’s also been out far longer than anticipated, may be in the lineup alongside Nishioka on Friday.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)