Jun 15, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Nishioka suffered a fractured fibula on April 7 when Nick Swisher of the Yankees slid into him breaking up a double play and in returning he’s expected to shift from second base to shortstop. Opening Day shortstop Alexi Casilla will move to second base, where he’s played for most of his career.
Nishioka was initially said to be out 4-6 weeks, but as has been the case with the Twins’ numerous injuries and their various recovery timetables all season he ended up missing nearly 10 weeks. Joe Mauer, who’s also been out far longer than anticipated, may be in the lineup alongside Nishioka on Friday.
- Watch Live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators