Jun 15, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Nishioka suffered a fractured fibula on April 7 when Nick Swisher of the Yankees slid into him breaking up a double play and in returning he’s expected to shift from second base to shortstop. Opening Day shortstop Alexi Casilla will move to second base, where he’s played for most of his career.
Nishioka was initially said to be out 4-6 weeks, but as has been the case with the Twins’ numerous injuries and their various recovery timetables all season he ended up missing nearly 10 weeks. Joe Mauer, who’s also been out far longer than anticipated, may be in the lineup alongside Nishioka on Friday.
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 7
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)