Video of the Day: First scenes from the Moneyball movie

Jun 15, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT

Entertainment Tonight showed a few scenes from the upcoming Moneyball movie starring Brad Pitt as A’s general manager Billy Beane and … well, let’s just say my skepticism about how they could turn a good but mostly action-free book into an interesting film is even stronger now:

I might be wrong, of course. Hitters drawing walks in slow motion might be the new teenage vampires.

1. spudchukar - Jun 15, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I have faith in Aaron Sorkin and Steven Zaillian. Sorkin-The Social Network, A Few Good Men and TV’s Sport’s Night, Zaillian-Awakenings, Schindler’s List and Gangs of New York.

• natstowngreg - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Not to mention The West Wing, one of my all-time TV favorites. Sports Night was pretty good as well. Sorkin’s previous work would be the only reason I’d pay attention to this movie.

It’s just hard to see how a book on Moneyball can match the adaptation of another Michael Lewis book, The Blind Side. That movie (and the book upon which it was based) wrapped a dry sports topic (the evolution of pass rushing and blocking in pro football) with a compelling human story.

2. skerney - Jun 15, 2011 at 4:59 PM

The baseball action looks bad, but everything else looks cool.

• scatterbrian - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Yeah, looks just like Tony Scott’s crappy sports filming in The Fan and The Last Boy Scout.

3. xmatt0926x - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I don’t get it. When I first heard there would be a “moneyball” movie I thought it was odd becauise there was a baseball book with the same title. Then when I read that Brad Pitt was playing Billy Beane I was sure it was just some kind of joke. I thought the same thing. How exactly do you get a movie from the Moneyball book and why would an A-lister like Brad Pitt be playing the lead role in it? I still don’t get it. Was there some kind of international intrigue in Moneyball? Maybe Billy beane was also working black-ops while he working as GM of the A’s?

• mattjg - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Clearly the computers, not satisfied with Enron, have risen up once again and forced Brad Pitt to make this movie as an homage to when they first became sentient and began their slow, yet unstoppable, enslavement of the human race.

4. pkiguy22 - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Baseball scenes alone might ruin the movie.

That being said, I would love to see Brad Pitt with a big hunk of dip in his mouth half the movie

/knows it won’t happen

5. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Skepticism aside, everyone on this blog will watch this movie.

• heynerdlinger - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:11 PM

…on cable.

6. hcf95688 - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:12 PM

The wrong east bay team has a movie coming out. Go Cal Bears!

7. cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Actually I like this sort of movie and I’m really looking forward to it and I’m not the least defensive about it at all. To me it’ll be much like if The Sting, Ocean’s 11, Snatch, and Superbad was rolled up and done in a baseball format. Does anyone drive a classic mini inside a building for this flick? Because, if so, then I’m calling this one Best Picture, 2011.

8. Chris St. John - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:19 PM

So far looks kinda cheesy, but meh…I’ll watch it.

9. scatterbrian - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Brad Pitt has 23 projects in development right now, plus three others in post besides Moneyball. I really doubt he’d make this movie–not to mention stick around after Steven Soderbergh’s draft was canned–if it wasn’t something worth making.

• florida76 - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:50 PM

scatterbrian, Brad Pitt also made “The Mexican”, so famous actors make mistakes just like the rest of us. Knowing one of the trailer highlights in this flick is a guy taking a walk, is proof enough this won’t be a hit. You can tell this flick will exaggerate the finances of the A’s, making them appear to be the Bad News Bears.

Yes, those A’s did have a low payroll at $40 mil, but it wasn’t even the lowest in the game, and they only beat the M’s, Angels and Rangers to win a division. Since the real 2002 A’s were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs, it means there is no stirring climax to this movie. Non fiction movies must have a compelling reason or payoff for the viewer, and taking a different approach to building a competitive team simply won’t appeal to the masses. Had those 2002 A’s won the pennant, then yes to a movie, because that achievement is far more important than failing in the first round of the playoffs.

• scatterbrian - Jun 15, 2011 at 7:04 PM

The Mexican, huh? You realize you had to go back ten years to pick out a clunker, right? (I’ve actually never seen The Mexican, but based on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, it doesn’t seem like a complete flop….a lot of mixed reviews.)

Anyway, I never claimed famous actors are infallible, or that Brad Pitt is infallible. He may very well be wasting his time with Moneyball. But this is a project that has gone through (at least) three scripts and two directors, and yet Pitt has stuck with it the whole way. He’s obviously passionate about the project, otherwise he would have ditched it two years ago when it was nearly dead….especially considering all of the other movies he wants to make. Based on all that, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

10. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 15, 2011 at 6:31 PM

I think this movie will flop for a couple of reasons. The main one being this isnt about the Yankees or the Red Sox. I dont like either team, but lets face it they put the asses in the seats. Two, hardly anyone outside of baseball knows who Billy Bean is, this book was a best-seller how many years ago? And third, the A’s have never won a title under Bean and most audiences (outside of die-hard baseball fans) will be looking for an ending like that to justify sitting through a movie based on a baseball GM.

11. thefalcon123 - Jun 15, 2011 at 7:06 PM

This movie combines two most exciting things about baseball: front office management and players drawing walks. I’m so excited!

(sarcasm aside, I actually am really excited about seeing this).

All the trade deadline news to know