Vote for your favorite moment in All-Star Game history

Jun 15, 2011, 5:40 PM EST

All Star Game Getty Images

Fact: if you put anything in NCAA Tournament-style brackets, it’s instantly fun.  Don’t tell me differently. I voted on stuff like “cats vs. dogs” on some blog my wife likes recently, all because they used brackets, so I know of what I speak.

The fact that MLB.com is doing that with a baseball-related topic is just extra bonus, because you’re predisposed to like that kind of thing if you’re reading this blog already. The topic: top moments in All-Star Game history. The real appeal: each little bracket pod has the video of the moment, so even if you don’t care about the votes, there’s a lot of good footage and memories there.

Although, really, it seems like they’re missing a moment or two. Like, maybe one that would spring to mind if I looked up and to the right … up … and to the right …

Ah, I’m just kidding. At the moment, I’m sort of liking the one below. If for no other reason than because “Dave Parker loaded up the canon” could mean a couple of different things in 1979, if you know what I mean.

1. skerney - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM

ichiro inside the park homerun.

2. halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Yeah, Bud Selig, I loved the year that you decided to end the All-Star game in a tie because both managers had used up all their pitchers.

Another great moment in your sad existence as Commisioner of Baseball.

• sportsdrenched - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I’m still waiting for someone to tell me what they would have done if they were the comissioner during that game.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Simple, #1 they should not have used all those pitchers to begin with. Screw that you have to play every player. Nonsense. I’ve watched many, many All-Star games where some players don’t play. It’s just the way it is. It should be just considered as an honor to be at the All-Star game.

#2, if you do run out of pitchers, you keep on sending out the current pitchers. If their arms start to fall off, then you put a position player in to pitch. Baseball games should never end in ties. EVER!!!

• jimbo1949 - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Baseball games should never end in ties. EVER!!!
        All-Star Game = Exhibition Game
        Spring Training Game = Exhibition Game
        Tie score Spring Training games usually end after 10 innings because they’re EXHIBITION GAMES!

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:30 PM

jimbo1949,

Once again, you show that you are an idiot. You are comparing an All-Star game to a spring training game? Really? Besides the exibition angle? In the history of them playing All-Star games (some 60 + years? I don’t feel like looking it up right now), the only TIED All-Star game took place under Bud Selig’s watch. One tie in the history of baseball and this is acceptable.

It’s a joke. Bud Selig is a joke. Just like you, jimboass.

• spudchukar - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:40 PM

You have no idea how hard it is for me to side with Cepts, but in this instance I must. It is an exhibition; either the Commissioner gets together with both sides and allows both teams to re-substitue prior pitchers, or do the same with non-pitchers. It is an exhibition game, and the outcome isn’t, or wasn’t a factor. The current method is a gimmick, and places managers in an uncompromising position. Every move is scrutinized. The outcome used to be an additional feather in the hat of an all-star individual who excelled. Nobody was a loser. Just a day to display the game’s best vs. the best, seeing who prevailed on that particular day. Not meaningful, not trite, just a day when the best got together, competed to the utmost for a temporal moment, and let the chips fall where they may. It was glorious, it was kind, it was play.

• shaggylocks - Jun 15, 2011 at 6:56 PM

If Selig had let the game continue and let the current pitchers “pitch their arms off,” as you say, you’d be complaining that Selig had valuable arms overextend themselves during an exhibition game. Hey, that could’ve had a real impact on the season, as opposed to a tie All-Star game, which had zero impact that year.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 7:01 PM

No, I would not be complaining. I’m not one of these sabermatician or pitch count pansies. That’s baseball. These guys are not made of paper. They are not going to blow their arms out because they have to pitch a few more innings than they are used to. It does not matter that the game did not count. You do not ever allow a tie in baseball.

It was Selig’s sole decision and he made the wrong one.

3. The Rabbit - Jun 15, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Because very few of these exhibitions (it shouldn’t count for ch*t) live up to their billings, the most memorable for me: Randy Johnson vs. John Kruk.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 6:31 PM

In my opinion (and this is from a Phillies fan), Kruk bailing out on Randy Johnson was a disgrace to baseball. It made a mockery out of the game. Kruk looked foolish. When your at the plate, whether or not it’s exibition, have a little pride and try to play the game the right way. Don’t bail out of the batter’s box and laugh about it.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM

That’s what I though of too, Rabbit, when I read the article. Kruk bailing like he had a rope tied to his leg after The Big Unit drilled it into the wall over his head. I remember that and it still makes me laugh. A great all star moment.

But then I had to go and watch the Parker highlight and I changed my mind. I’m taking that one. Not because of Parker, though that was an unholy accurate throw, but because of the catcher he was throwing to. My hero from back in the day; Gary Carter. The Kid was the best. It was great seeing him playing again, just great. In an Expo uniform to boot. That’s my favorite All Star Game moment.

4. Ari Collins - Jun 15, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Frankly, I’ve never been a big fan of the ASG. As a Boston fan, I love the ’99 Pedro performance, but the video for that “moment” focuses mainly on the celebration of Ted Williams. Which, okay, that was pretty awesome. But “Then Pedro took over,” understates how dominant he was: 2 scoreless innings with 4 Ks, against Barry Larkin, Larry Walker, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, Matt Williams, and Jeff Bagwell.

I’m not saying it’s the best ASG performance ever, but given the amazing hitter’s era, it’s up there, and it’s too bad that that video gives it very little play.

Now I’m gonna watch all of the other videos. This is great, because I get the highlights of a generally boring and pointless game. ( That should be ABSOLUTELY pointless, except for the inane Home Field Advantage thing.)

• Ari Collins - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:34 PM

I think Kruk/Johnson wins it, for me. Not sure about “Greatest” ASG moment, but one of the most entertaining. Baseball in general should be entertaining, and the doesn’t (shouldn’t) count ASG should be doubly entertaining.

Lotta runners up, though. Including that Ichiro inside-the-parker mentioned above, which should definitely be on the list.

• Ari Collins - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Watched the videos between innings of Beckett’s start. Best start of his career, and the one hit he gave up was an infield single on a ball in the dirt. Game of inches and all that, but an amazing pitching performance either way.

5. koufaxmitzvah - Jun 15, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Carter, Lopes, Parker. That was NL baseball, baby.

6. nps6724 - Jun 15, 2011 at 7:58 PM

As a Braves fan, I’m gonna be biased and pick Brian McCann’s bases loaded double from last year.

On a non-homer note, I’ll go with Kruk vs. Johnson or Hunter robbing Bonds of a HR and then Bonds running out and picking him up. It’s an All Star Game; let’s have a little fun with the damn thing.

7. jimbo1949 - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:29 PM

In the 1934 All-Star game played at the Polo Grounds, New York Giant Carl Hubbell struck out in succession five batters destined for Cooperstown: Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Jimmie Foxx, Al Simmons and Joe Cronin.
    No video, no sale, too bad.

• vikesfansteve - Jun 16, 2011 at 9:45 AM

you mean this video genius?

8. IdahoMariner - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM

I kind of don’t care what particular “moment” was put up against Rose running over Fosse — I will vote against that pointless nastiness every time.

• Ari Collins - Jun 16, 2011 at 12:35 AM

+1000

9. vikesfansteve - Jun 16, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Reggie’s monster blast in Detroit.

10. skipperxc - Jun 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM

My favorite, ironically enough, was from the 2002 tie ball game — Torii Hunter robbing Barry Bonds of a home run in the first inning. Both at the height of their respective powers…it seemed appropriate, really. Video: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=9109823

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester