Jun 15, 2011, 2:10 PM EST
Yu Darvish, who tied a Pacific League record with his third straight shutout last week, gave up two runs in a complete-game loss Wednesday as the Hanshin Tigers edged the Nippon-Ham Fighters 2-1.
Darvish’s scoreless streak was up to 46 innings when he gave up a run in the third inning today. He later gave up one more in the seventh. Only one of the two runs was earned.
The 24-year-old Darvish was undone by former major leaguer Matt Murton, who went 2-for-4 and drove in one of the two runs. Ex-Marlin Randy Messenger started for Hanshin and allowed one run in six innings in a no-decision.
Darvish ended up striking out 10 in the game. His scoreless streak was the second longest in Pacific League history behind Tadashi Sugiura’s 54 2/3-inning streak in 1959.
Darvish is now 8-2 with a 1.39 ERA and 93 strikeouts in 84 innings this season.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)