Jun 15, 2011, 2:10 PM EST
Yu Darvish, who tied a Pacific League record with his third straight shutout last week, gave up two runs in a complete-game loss Wednesday as the Hanshin Tigers edged the Nippon-Ham Fighters 2-1.
Darvish’s scoreless streak was up to 46 innings when he gave up a run in the third inning today. He later gave up one more in the seventh. Only one of the two runs was earned.
The 24-year-old Darvish was undone by former major leaguer Matt Murton, who went 2-for-4 and drove in one of the two runs. Ex-Marlin Randy Messenger started for Hanshin and allowed one run in six innings in a no-decision.
Darvish ended up striking out 10 in the game. His scoreless streak was the second longest in Pacific League history behind Tadashi Sugiura’s 54 2/3-inning streak in 1959.
Darvish is now 8-2 with a 1.39 ERA and 93 strikeouts in 84 innings this season.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)