Yu Darvish’s scoreless-inning streak stopped at 46

Jun 15, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT

Yu Darvish AP

Yu Darvish, who tied a Pacific League record with his third straight shutout last week, gave up two runs in a complete-game loss Wednesday as the Hanshin Tigers edged the Nippon-Ham Fighters 2-1.

Darvish’s scoreless streak was up to 46 innings when he gave up a run in the third inning today.  He later gave up one more in the seventh. Only one of the two runs was earned.

The 24-year-old Darvish was undone by former major leaguer Matt Murton, who went 2-for-4 and drove in one of the two runs.  Ex-Marlin Randy Messenger started for Hanshin and allowed one run in six innings in a no-decision.

Darvish ended up striking out 10 in the game.  His scoreless streak was the second longest in Pacific League history behind Tadashi Sugiura’s 54 2/3-inning streak in 1959.

Darvish is now 8-2 with a 1.39 ERA and 93 strikeouts in 84 innings this season.

1. Ari Collins - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I know that it’s the Fighters, from the Nippon Ham company, but I can’t help reading it as the Ham Fighters from Nippon.

• Max Power - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I can’t believe you beat me to it by less than a minute! That’s what I get for proof-reading!

• jwbiii - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I like to envision them in spring training in a meat locker beating up on pork products. Like Rocky and his sides of beef.

2. Max Power - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I was so much happier when I thought the Nippon-Ham Fighters were the Nippon Ham-Fighters.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Coolest name in baseball. I wish he played here so I could here that awesome name more.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:57 PM