Jun 16, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Brandon Lyon spent a month on the disabled list with a partially torn rotator cuff, returned last week to allow three homers and a total of eight runs in three appearances, and has been placed back on the DL.
And he might be done for the season, as Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that Lyon will be examined Friday by Dr. Lewis Yocum to determine if surgery is needed.
Despite a hideous 11.48 ERA in 13 total innings this season Lyon repeatedly downplayed his arm problems when asked by reporters, but apparently admitted to more shoulder pain after meeting with manager Brad Mills and general manager Ed Wade.
He pitched well in the first season of a three-year, $15 million deal that was roundly criticized at the time of the signing, but the second season has been a disaster and rotator cuff surgery could knock him out for much of the final season.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)