Jun 16, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Brandon Lyon spent a month on the disabled list with a partially torn rotator cuff, returned last week to allow three homers and a total of eight runs in three appearances, and has been placed back on the DL.
And he might be done for the season, as Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that Lyon will be examined Friday by Dr. Lewis Yocum to determine if surgery is needed.
Despite a hideous 11.48 ERA in 13 total innings this season Lyon repeatedly downplayed his arm problems when asked by reporters, but apparently admitted to more shoulder pain after meeting with manager Brad Mills and general manager Ed Wade.
He pitched well in the first season of a three-year, $15 million deal that was roundly criticized at the time of the signing, but the second season has been a disaster and rotator cuff surgery could knock him out for much of the final season.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)