Jun 16, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Brandon Lyon spent a month on the disabled list with a partially torn rotator cuff, returned last week to allow three homers and a total of eight runs in three appearances, and has been placed back on the DL.
And he might be done for the season, as Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that Lyon will be examined Friday by Dr. Lewis Yocum to determine if surgery is needed.
Despite a hideous 11.48 ERA in 13 total innings this season Lyon repeatedly downplayed his arm problems when asked by reporters, but apparently admitted to more shoulder pain after meeting with manager Brad Mills and general manager Ed Wade.
He pitched well in the first season of a three-year, $15 million deal that was roundly criticized at the time of the signing, but the second season has been a disaster and rotator cuff surgery could knock him out for much of the final season.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)