Jun 16, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Brandon Lyon spent a month on the disabled list with a partially torn rotator cuff, returned last week to allow three homers and a total of eight runs in three appearances, and has been placed back on the DL.
And he might be done for the season, as Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that Lyon will be examined Friday by Dr. Lewis Yocum to determine if surgery is needed.
Despite a hideous 11.48 ERA in 13 total innings this season Lyon repeatedly downplayed his arm problems when asked by reporters, but apparently admitted to more shoulder pain after meeting with manager Brad Mills and general manager Ed Wade.
He pitched well in the first season of a three-year, $15 million deal that was roundly criticized at the time of the signing, but the second season has been a disaster and rotator cuff surgery could knock him out for much of the final season.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 26
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 28
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 60
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)