Jun 16, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Brandon Lyon spent a month on the disabled list with a partially torn rotator cuff, returned last week to allow three homers and a total of eight runs in three appearances, and has been placed back on the DL.
And he might be done for the season, as Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that Lyon will be examined Friday by Dr. Lewis Yocum to determine if surgery is needed.
Despite a hideous 11.48 ERA in 13 total innings this season Lyon repeatedly downplayed his arm problems when asked by reporters, but apparently admitted to more shoulder pain after meeting with manager Brad Mills and general manager Ed Wade.
He pitched well in the first season of a three-year, $15 million deal that was roundly criticized at the time of the signing, but the second season has been a disaster and rotator cuff surgery could knock him out for much of the final season.
- Jose Iglesias, with an extended aside about cheeseburger and burrito stats 9
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 4
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 29
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 45
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86