Brandon Phillips: Twitter God

Jun 16, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT

Phillips_Brandon

On a day when a congressman resigned because he misused Twitter, Amy K. Nelson reminds us in a nice story over at ESPN.com that Twitter is just a medium. It’s the nature of the person who uses it that matters.  Specifically when that person is Brandon Phillips:

Yet it seems as though @DatDudeBP just might be helping Phillips erase a public perception that has been askew, allowing him to open more of a window into his true personality. It has some teammates wondering whether the social networking has actually helped him play better.

“I’m just being myself,” he says, “having a good time doing it and giving back to fans supporting me all these years.”

We often find that sports personalities are kind of jerks, but we never knew it because of the layers of PR and media between them and the fans.  Sometimes, though, we learn that players are actually really cool people, but that we didn’t know it for exactly the same reason.

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM

There was a story I heard over the weekend watching a Reds games on the MLB network that changed my mind about Phillips. He asked his followers over twitter that the first person that could tweet his uniform number in high school would win a special prize. Well, two guys tweeted the correct number to him at the same time. The prize they both won was that he flew then to San Fran over the past weekend to hang out with them, both at the ball park and in his personal time. He spent the whole weekend with them, all expenses paid.

Pretty cool. And who said twitter was all that bad (except for Ozzie Guillen, of course).

2. pbannard - Jun 16, 2011 at 4:12 PM

As long as we’re on the topic of communicating with the fans, I thought this was fantastic:

3. Chris St. John - Jun 16, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Yeah, I love that Phillips does prizes. One time he asked what his favorite drink was and the winner got to take a trip to see him, I believe. I guessed water, but the correct answer was milk. It’s one of my greatest regrets in life.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 16, 2011 at 4:23 PM

If he ever does a “Which is my favorite, cake or pie?” contest, know that the answer is pie b/c he’s a good person.

• cur68 - Jun 16, 2011 at 4:46 PM

It will be cake and you know it. Cheese cake. With ice cream.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 16, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Cheesecake is fine b/c it’s PIE!

• cur68 - Jun 16, 2011 at 4:56 PM

You have been unable to establish anything of the sort. Its cake. It wants to be cake and is cake and BPhil loves him some cake.

• Alex K - Jun 16, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Ice cream stands alone. It doesn’t need a pie hiding itself with a cake name.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 16, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Jelly roll with ice cream instead of jelly. Mmmm…

• Chris St. John - Jun 16, 2011 at 5:29 PM

No worries, I’ve simply asked him which he prefers.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 16, 2011 at 5:49 PM

It’s time for pie all the time. Pie pie pie pie pie.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Quit your sniveling, you piebaby.

• spudchukar - Jun 16, 2011 at 6:02 PM

It has crust. Cake does not have crust, at least not intentionally, therefore cheesecake, despite the nomenclature error is in fact pie.

• cur68 - Jun 16, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Nomenclature rules the day you pie eaters. It is cake because it wants to be cake. Who are you to limit the rights of cheese cake to be anything it wants to be? What are you, commies?

• hasbeen5 - Jun 17, 2011 at 8:14 AM

I want to be a millionaire but calling myself a millionaire doesn’t make it so. It’s pie.

4. Alex K - Jun 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM

All I have to say about baseball players and twitter is #plushdamentals.

5. cur68 - Jun 16, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Yeah, some athlete are pretty cool. I’ve always liked Phillips. Another guy I like is Ryan Howard. Especially after seeing this;

6. The Rabbit - Jun 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Another Phillips twitter story from a game broadcast: The team had a day off and he asked what he should do that evening. Some HS kid replied that he was playing in a big game that night. Phillips showed up to watch him play and spent time with the kid and his parents.
    Gotta love it.

7. rockinredlegs - Jun 17, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Brandon also took me and my whole family to Chicago for the weekend after I guessed his favorite dessert (Krispy Kreme doughnuts). You can read about it on my blog: http://bit.ly/lBo9gg

• Utley's Hair - Jun 17, 2011 at 8:34 PM

So, we have a winner—everybody knows doughnuts (or even donuts) are CAKE!!!!!!!!!!! And Krispy Kremes are the best and most lethal CAKE rounds you can get.

Brandon Phillips seems to be a cool guy, no matter what his rep has been up to now. Kudos to the guy. It’s good to see yet another MLBer stay grounded enough to relate to the fans.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3310)