Jun 16, 2011, 8:23 PM EDT
Hanson, 24, has enjoyed a dominant start to the 2011 season, sporting a 2.48 ERA and 89 strikeouts through his first 83 1/3 innings. The Braves are going to evaluate him over the next two days before deciding if he’s better off heading to the disabled list. For now, everything sounds minor and precautionary.
The Braves will promote pitching prospect Randall Delgado from Double-A Mississippi to start Friday in Hanson’s place. A 21-year-old righty from Panama, Delgado has registered a 3.54 ERA and 64/26 K/BB ratio in 73 2/3 innings of work at the Double-A level this season. Baseball America ranked him as the game’s 35th-best prospect earlier this year.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45