Jim Hendry gets the dreaded vote of confidence

Jun 16, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT

hendry-110116.standard[1]

Hey Tom Rickketts! What do you think of the general manager who put together this abomination of a Cubs roster?

Ricketts said he has “100 percent confidence” in Jim Hendry, though he didn’t quite guarantee that the general manager will finish out the final year of his contract through the 2012 season. “We’ll see what the offseason looks (like),” Ricketts said. “(But) I’m pretty happy (and) I’m comfortable with Jim. I’m confident in his ability to keep us moving forward.”

You can see video of his comments and a more in-depth story about the situation facing Hendry and the Cubs by Patrick Mooney over at CSN Chicago.

At some point storylines are inevitable that there’s not much worth saying about them.  All I will offer at this point is that, based on how these things usually go, Hendry is probably a dead man walking.

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 16, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Well, I hear that Ed Wade is also a dead man walking with the Astros as well and will probably be available in 2012. Wade would make a good GM for the Cubs (ahhmm..I mean Phillies).

2. cur68 - Jun 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Craig you pretty much can’t overuse your Logan’s Run material with this sort of thing. The light is definitely blinking on that collar.

3. paperlions - Jun 16, 2011 at 12:55 PM

There are only a few possibilities when Ricketts says he has 100% confidence in Hendry.

1) He’s lying.

2) He knows so little about baseball that he doesn’t understand how bad Hendry is at being a GM.

3) He has some type of Rickettsia and the fever is affecting his judgement.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 16, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Or he takes the approach of “I’m not going to tell my GM he’s basically going to get fired to the media.”

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 16, 2011 at 1:12 PM

“All I will offer at this point is that, based on how these things usually go, Hendry is probably a dead man walking.”

Based on how things usually go where? Cleveland? Florida? Mars? Certainly you do not mean how they usually go in the North Side of Chicago! I believe Ricketts “confidence” and I fully expect them to keep Hendry through is contract (and perhaps more). There is no real will to win from this ownership and Hendry sitting at the helm as GM to this day proves that. He’s had the biggest hand in digging the Cubs organization into this hole over the last decade, yet he lives on. The new ownership hasn’t looked very new either. This will not change, but I hope I’m wrong for the Cubs’ sake (and for my sake b/c I’d like to watch good baseball on the North Side again within the next five years).

• kopy - Jun 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Maybe Ricketts is really smart and has decided that losing teams are good business! I mean, people are enthralled with the Cubs because they’re the lovable losers. If they won, the novelty of not winning the World Series in 102 years would go away!

Don’t ask me if I’m serious, because I’m not sure yet.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 16, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I’m not a Cubs fan, but I root for them (as I do the White Sox), being a Chicagoan and all. I can’t stand it. They suck and sell it like they don’t year in and year out. They haven’t won a playoff game since the game before the Bartman incident (i.e. Game 5 vs. Feesh). That’s 0-8 in the playoffs over 8 stinkin’ years since. They make such craptastic moves in the off-season and sell them as big deals. They make storylines like the Kerry Wood saga. The dude is not a storyline type of guy.

Meanwhile the Saaax make good moves, but have been under-performing and unlucky. They’re pulling back to normal and I still believe will make a run for the division. Pulling Dunn and Konerko together was magic and it will turn around for Dunnscout.

It’s like night and day when looking at management from the North vs. South Side.

5. dumpjimhendry - Jun 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I’m praying to all that is holy that Ricketts is just playing a nice spin game and he’s got plans for Hendry’s exit. As a baseball guy, I don’t know, but I know Ricketts is a good solid businessman, and why why why would he make himself look so stupid? He’s got PR strategists helping him out on message, notice how he’s been so absent (while his PR peeps work on the perfect message) and then he’s out to deliver that message…. and poof… gone again. There are a bunch of us on Facebook beating the drum, “Fire Jim Hendry” – and if the blogger who owns this blog will allow me, I will reply later with the links. The more the merrier. I don’t want to hijack his blog, though, so I’ll await reply from him.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4039)