Jorge Posada could very well catch

Jun 16, 2011, 9:35 AM EDT

Jorge Posada AP

The talk going in to the season was that Jorge Posada‘s days as a catcher were over. The Yankees have stayed true to that plan too, as he has not donned the tools of ignorance since spring training.

But before yesterday’s game, Joe Girardi conceded that, yes, Posada is the team’s “emergency catcher.” Which normally doesn’t mean much because most emergency catchers never catch.  But in the Yankees’ case you might want to replace “emergency” with “backup.”

Why? Because despite the fact that the Yankees won’t put him on the disabled list for some reason, Russell Martin is hurt, with back and toe problems, and his backup — Francisco Cervelli — stinks.  One foul tip and/or one Joe Girardi meltdown over just how bad Cervelli is back there, and Posada is in the game, ain’t he?

Of course the wild card here is Jesus Montero, who remains at Scranton for reasons that are only clear to Brian Cashman. I mean, no, he’s not tearing up the pea patch at the plate or anything, but he’s been solid enough compared to Cervelli.  One wonders if they want to keep him down on the farm so as to preserve his marketability a bit in advance of the trade deadline, with the thinking being that if he came up to the bigs he wouldn’t hit and then no one would be willing to trade a front line starter for him. In the minors, every big prospect has the sheen and gloss of potential.

1. cur68 - Jun 16, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Brian Cashman has a “God”? If so then this must be him;

2. deathmonkey41 - Jun 16, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Cervelli used to be a decent defensive catcher- I’m not sure what happened. He’s never been much of a hitter anyhow.

3. yankeesfanlen - Jun 16, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Stop with the truncated headlines already, Craig.
    You have enough room for “Jorge Posada Could Very Well catch….Atrociously”

• uyf1950 - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:16 AM

My friend, I was one who said I don’t want Posada behind the plate, ever again. But I have to say with the current situation Martin out and Cervelli doing the bulk of the everyday catching. I’d rather see Posada behind the plate “short term” then Cervelli. Cervelli is absolutely terrible no offense or defense. Hopefully, when Montero’s eye infection heals the Yankees can call him up and give him a shot. He can’t be any worse of an option defensively they the others and hopefully can add some punch to the bottom 3rd of the line up if called up. That, just my opinion.

4. tinker61 - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Some have short memories. Jorge Posada was terrible behind the plate last season. Passed balls galore, and his arm was just as erratic as Cervelli’s. Granted he’s been hitting for success in the last 10 games or so. Cervelli is certainly no magician behind the plate or with the bat, and his throws are horrible. Still, he’s serviceable behind the plate, minus his throwing. Montero was bad behind the plate in spring training, and he definitely didn’t hit ML pitching either. Not to mention that some ML scouts feel catcher is not his ML position simply because of his glove. Romine is felt by most scouts to be ML ready with the glove, but his bat is missing right now due to not being ML ready in that area. Molina was the back up when Cervelli was injured and he definitely has a ML arm and glove but he can’t hit a lick. So? What options are left for Girardi? Certainly NOT Jorge Posoda behind the plate again. We saw that scenario play out last season.

5. pisano - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:32 AM

uyf1950…. Posada is a nightmare behind the plate. I’ll never forget last year when the Rangers stole four bases on him in one inning. I’d never seen that done in the majors in all the baseball I’ve seen in my life. I was hoping they would sign John Buck, he was a fairly low priced catcher with a great arm and a bull behind the plate, but the Marlins grabbed him as soon as he declared free agency. In other words I’d put anyone but Posada back there. The Yankees should be thrilled that he’s over the Mendoza line, I never thought it would happen. As you say: just my opinion.

• randall351 - Jun 16, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Being an avid Royals fan, let me assure you that John Buck is not a good catcher. Yes he can hit for power, but that’s about it. He was awful behind the plate, and atrocious at throwing out baserunners. I remember when David Ortiz successfully stole a base on him a few years ago. Granted I haven’t seen him play in a couple of years, but still he was quite awful not too long ago, so I can’t imagine some sort of metoric rise in his defensive skills.

• pisano - Jun 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM

randall351… I wasn’t aware of his defensive liabilities with the Royals, but when I watched him last year with the Jays he looked like a good defensive catcher, at least against the Yankees. He threw guys out and hit the hell out of the ball. I didn’t see all that much of him, but he put on a good show against the Yankees. He obviously fooled me.

• uyf1950 - Jun 16, 2011 at 11:26 AM

pisano, my friend. It’s hard to argue with you about Posada because you are correct. The way I look at it Carvelli is just as bad defensively and even worse offensively. If I work on that assumption and until Martin returns having Posada behind the plate in the short term will at least allow the Yankees to have another DH person hit. Right now they current for games have Cervelli catch and Posada DH. If Posada replaces Cervelli then they can have Posada catch and say Dickerson, Jones or even Pena DH. Any of those is a better option then what they are doing currently. That’s just my opinion.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Cervelli and Martin have not been throwing anyone out either. I say let Posada catch once a week. Maybe it even helps his hitting to have a game once in a while where he has something else to think about.

Just not with AJ pitching. Maybe when Colon is back, since he seems to hit the glove every single time anyway. That should not be too taxing of an assignment.

• cur68 - Jun 16, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I agree, not with AJ. They stick Burnett with Posada and they can just not bother playing; take the loss and avoid the humiliation. He’ll call nothing but 4 seam FBs and Burnett will get lit up like an Ottawa Christmas tree by the 3rd inning.

Molina is your boy. Can’t hit worth a lick but neither can Cervelli. But he’s a dynamite catcher (especially as compared to Posada and Cervelli). He has the right name to be the catcher too. I swear they should just rename that position behind the plate “The Molina”.

7. deathmonkey41 - Jun 16, 2011 at 11:41 AM

“Maybe when Colon is back, since he seems to hit the glove every single time anyway.”

Unfortunatley Jorge lines up down the center of the plate every single time, so that would probably be a disaster.

8. genericcommenter - Jun 16, 2011 at 1:43 PM

“Oh well, that’s between Brian Cashman and his God. Or Randy Levine, whichever one ranks higher in the Yankees organization.”

I’m a little confused by this statement. Does “whichever one ranks higher” refer to Levine/God or Levine/Cashman?

Three legends off to Cooperstown