Jun 16, 2011, 9:35 AM EDT
The talk going in to the season was that Jorge Posada‘s days as a catcher were over. The Yankees have stayed true to that plan too, as he has not donned the tools of ignorance since spring training.
But before yesterday’s game, Joe Girardi conceded that, yes, Posada is the team’s “emergency catcher.” Which normally doesn’t mean much because most emergency catchers never catch. But in the Yankees’ case you might want to replace “emergency” with “backup.”
Why? Because despite the fact that the Yankees won’t put him on the disabled list for some reason, Russell Martin is hurt, with back and toe problems, and his backup — Francisco Cervelli — stinks. One foul tip and/or one Joe Girardi meltdown over just how bad Cervelli is back there, and Posada is in the game, ain’t he?
Of course the wild card here is Jesus Montero, who remains at Scranton for reasons that are only clear to Brian Cashman. I mean, no, he’s not tearing up the pea patch at the plate or anything, but he’s been solid enough compared to Cervelli. One wonders if they want to keep him down on the farm so as to preserve his marketability a bit in advance of the trade deadline, with the thinking being that if he came up to the bigs he wouldn’t hit and then no one would be willing to trade a front line starter for him. In the minors, every big prospect has the sheen and gloss of potential.
Oh well, that’s between Brian Cashman and his God. Or Randy Levine, whichever one ranks higher in the Yankees organization.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 8
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 17
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)