Jun 16, 2011, 6:02 PM EDT
The San Francisco Chronicle posted a quick interview with Pete Rose on Thursday, in parge part to get his reaction to the Buster Posey collision and injury (click on the link if you want to read about that). Rose, though, was also asked about steroids and had a pretty good take:
I’m not the one who is going to sit here and judge (Barry) Bonds, or judge Rafael (Palmeiro). All I know is they put up numbers. I’m going to tell you right now, though, Barry Bonds is one of the best hitters in the history of baseball. (Alex Rodriguez) is one of the better hitters in the history of baseball.
I’m not sure Mark McGwire was a Hall of Famer to begin with. I was a little surprised Raffy (Palmeiro) didn’t get more votes than he did. I’m going to hold my judgment on that until I get a real legitimate Hall of Famer like a Bonds or a (Roger) Clemens, and see what kind of response they get on the ballot. You know A-Rod has it made because he won’t be on the ballot until 2023. People will forget by then.
Pretty sensible if you ask me. The only thing I disagree with is the idea that McGwire isn’t a Hall of Famer to begin with. It sounds like Rose is saying McGwire doesn’t have Hall of Fame numbers (which he does), not that McGwire only has HoF numbers because of steroids (which is a more legitimate argument). I might be reading it wrong, though.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 26
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 43
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)