Play of the day: by a fan with a hat

Jun 16, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Milwaukee Brewers v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

Reed Johnson hit a three-run homer in the fifth inning of last night’s Cubs-Brewers game.  It was a nice homer. Should have gone out on Waveland Avenue. But this fan and his hat had other ideas.

That’s serious hat-savvy. Especially considering that, based on where the fan was sitting, he was probably a good three or four Old Styles into his evening at the time.

1. FC - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Wait! Was that a Marlins jersey his lady was wearing? Kudos for the hat-trick (hah!), the Cubs should sign him to be in the outfield.

2. FC - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:10 AM

No I think it’s the Jersey with the Bear on the C. Would be weird otherwise.

3. yankeesfanlen - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Hope that guy is around again for the weekend set. Doesn’t look like he has the arm to throw them back in.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Mr. Len, I wager that the Cubs take two of three from the Yankees this weekend. Why? Why not?

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:58 AM

We could bring in the batboys to pitch vs. Cubs (as you know, kind of a sentimental favorite of mine). That’s how we roll in the 212-718, even the 312-773.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:59 AM

The Cubs play with Heart! Just like that dude in Captain Planet.

4. cur68 - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I don’t know what I envy more about that guy; his catch, his seats, his bitchin’ a$$ mustache, his mullet, or his girl friend. Yeah, he’s 4 for 4 on that deal. I hate him.

• kopy - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:59 AM

For some reason he kind of reminds me of Randy Quaid’s character in Major League:

• cur68 - Jun 16, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Well now THAT cheered me right up. Look! Quaid in stubby nut-cluster shorts! Oh the humanity…

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Uh, that’s 5 for 5. If he caught it in an Old Style 16oz cup, it would be 6 for 6.

• cur68 - Jun 16, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Right. The bugger can probably count better than me, too. Evil death-ray thoughts….

• Utley's Hair - Jun 16, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Len, Seisenta y ocho was using metric system numbers.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey