Rangers catcher Yorvit Torrealba yells at Andruw Jones, accuses Yankees of stealing signs

Jun 16, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT

sign stealing

During the fifth inning of the Rangers’ loss to the Yankees yesterday catcher Yorvit Torrealba yelled at Andruw Jones, claiming he was stealing signs and relaying them to the batter while at second base.

Here’s what Torrealba told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas:

We could all be wrong, but we could all be right, so I decided to say something. I don’t take it personally. I don’t take any credit away from them. I don’t even think they needed to do that. We were making a lot of bad pitches, and they hit a lot of mistakes.

Asked about the incident, Jones replied that “he’s just trying to make excuses for getting their butts kicked.”

As you’d expect, Yankees manager Joe Girardi didn’t appreciate the accusation, saying: “I don’t care for that. He’s yelling at one of our guys and I don’t appreciate that. I’ve said I’m going to protect my guys.”

Mark Teixeira also revealed that Torrealba complained about sign-stealing to him Tuesday night and Texas manager Ron Washington noted that Alex Rodriguez has a reputation for stealing signs, so clearly the Rangers have been stewing about this for a while now.

1. bobulated - Jun 16, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Repeat after me, “Everybody steals signs.” Change them, or better yet have some decoys, and move on.
    Besides many batters don’t want the guy at second guessing what might be coming anyway, it’s just another layer of distraction.

• pjmarn6 - Jun 16, 2011 at 3:44 PM

SO?

2. halladaysbicepts - Jun 16, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Stealing signs has gone on since the beginning of baseball. It’s all part of the game.

That’s why smart teams change their signs often, sometimes making in-game changes.

• yettyskills - Jun 16, 2011 at 2:58 PM

yup, stealing signs has been going on forever, and so has beaning players on the other team when they steal signs. Throw one into Tex’s back and make sure he knows he can thank Andrew Fraud Jones for it.
      Baseball

• yettyskills - Jun 16, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Seriously though, Hockey and Baseball had this one common component, the game is better when the players police themselves.

Go ahead, try to steal signs, get caught, someone gets plunked
        Take liberties with our star hockey player, get punched in the face multiple times

3. adowding3 - Jun 16, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Joe Girardi got upset about something? I dont believe it. He never makes a big deal about anything. Torrealba is gonna get plunked tonight.

PS – Do you think there is a clause in Girardi’s contract that kicks in some kind of multiplier if he says “protect my players” in every interview?

4. bjavie - Jun 16, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Geez, sounds like Torrealba said the sun “rised” and the Yankees said, no it “rose.”

Either way, a fact of life may have happened and they want to argue about it.

I steal signs all the time, I have a ‘stop’ sign for the man room door, a ‘deaf person area’ sign for my wife and a ‘one way’ sign above the toilet. So what?

• bigdicktater - Jun 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Your wife takes that “deaf person area” sign down when you’re not home.

• bjavie - Jun 16, 2011 at 2:50 PM

I am going to laugh, and thumbs up….but I don’t get it.

• cur68 - Jun 16, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Well, he means any of he’s hangin’ with your wife OR your wife is only deaf to you OR both. Dunno which for sure, but it looks bad for you.

• bjavie - Jun 16, 2011 at 5:17 PM

That DOES look bad. I figured he meant she is only deaf when I am there, but why take the sign down??? I mean, I am not there how would I know???

Wait a minute!!! Is he calling her dumb now, too????? I am so confused!!

• bigdicktater - Jun 16, 2011 at 6:25 PM

You’re a good sport bj, I couldn’t help myself. By the way, the answer is “Both”.

• cur68 - Jun 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Buuuuurn baby!

5. Jonny 5 - Jun 16, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Men on second never try to steal signs and tip the batter. Never. Pfffffttttttttt!

Seriously? STFU and play ball.

6. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 16, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Is it me or has this become Standard Whining Procedure for almost all teams in MLB this year? I dont think I have read this many stories about sign-stealing ever in one season.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 16, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Did Torrealba also bitch at the hitters who kept hitting the ball a really far distance? The whole point of having signs is because the other team wants to figure out what you are doing. Otherwise the catcher could just use the old #1 for fastball etc. If a dummy like jones can read your signs, your signs suck.

8. tinker61 - Jun 16, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Stealing signs Is universal. Mostly the runner gives pitch location, not the actual pitch. It really get complicated otherwise, since catchers vary the number of fingers down with every pitch with runners at 2nd base.

9. berbes - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:18 PM

there’s no whining in baseball.

10. henryd3rd - Jun 17, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Andruw Jones has been striking out at a prodigious rate this year and rarely gets to second base so would you please tell me where he’s is while stealing these signs? It definitely is not second base. It must be while he walking to the stadium and uses his exray vision to look through the wall as the stadium. The Yankees spanked the Rangers in the first two games and then stole one yesterday to complete the sweep. Stealing; there’s no stealing in baseball. That’s just not ethical.

11. agelardi - Jun 17, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Hey Yorvit, if the guy 127 feet away from you can see your signs, that not stealing. That’s you giving them away. Dope.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2979)