Jun 16, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
During the fifth inning of the Rangers’ loss to the Yankees yesterday catcher Yorvit Torrealba yelled at Andruw Jones, claiming he was stealing signs and relaying them to the batter while at second base.
Here’s what Torrealba told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas:
We could all be wrong, but we could all be right, so I decided to say something. I don’t take it personally. I don’t take any credit away from them. I don’t even think they needed to do that. We were making a lot of bad pitches, and they hit a lot of mistakes.
Asked about the incident, Jones replied that “he’s just trying to make excuses for getting their butts kicked.”
As you’d expect, Yankees manager Joe Girardi didn’t appreciate the accusation, saying: “I don’t care for that. He’s yelling at one of our guys and I don’t appreciate that. I’ve said I’m going to protect my guys.”
Mark Teixeira also revealed that Torrealba complained about sign-stealing to him Tuesday night and Texas manager Ron Washington noted that Alex Rodriguez has a reputation for stealing signs, so clearly the Rangers have been stewing about this for a while now.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)