Jun 16, 2011, 1:48 PM EST
During the fifth inning of the Rangers’ loss to the Yankees yesterday catcher Yorvit Torrealba yelled at Andruw Jones, claiming he was stealing signs and relaying them to the batter while at second base.
Here’s what Torrealba told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas:
We could all be wrong, but we could all be right, so I decided to say something. I don’t take it personally. I don’t take any credit away from them. I don’t even think they needed to do that. We were making a lot of bad pitches, and they hit a lot of mistakes.
Asked about the incident, Jones replied that “he’s just trying to make excuses for getting their butts kicked.”
As you’d expect, Yankees manager Joe Girardi didn’t appreciate the accusation, saying: “I don’t care for that. He’s yelling at one of our guys and I don’t appreciate that. I’ve said I’m going to protect my guys.”
Mark Teixeira also revealed that Torrealba complained about sign-stealing to him Tuesday night and Texas manager Ron Washington noted that Alex Rodriguez has a reputation for stealing signs, so clearly the Rangers have been stewing about this for a while now.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)