Jun 16, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
During the fifth inning of the Rangers’ loss to the Yankees yesterday catcher Yorvit Torrealba yelled at Andruw Jones, claiming he was stealing signs and relaying them to the batter while at second base.
Here’s what Torrealba told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas:
We could all be wrong, but we could all be right, so I decided to say something. I don’t take it personally. I don’t take any credit away from them. I don’t even think they needed to do that. We were making a lot of bad pitches, and they hit a lot of mistakes.
Asked about the incident, Jones replied that “he’s just trying to make excuses for getting their butts kicked.”
As you’d expect, Yankees manager Joe Girardi didn’t appreciate the accusation, saying: “I don’t care for that. He’s yelling at one of our guys and I don’t appreciate that. I’ve said I’m going to protect my guys.”
Mark Teixeira also revealed that Torrealba complained about sign-stealing to him Tuesday night and Texas manager Ron Washington noted that Alex Rodriguez has a reputation for stealing signs, so clearly the Rangers have been stewing about this for a while now.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)