Jun 16, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
During the fifth inning of the Rangers’ loss to the Yankees yesterday catcher Yorvit Torrealba yelled at Andruw Jones, claiming he was stealing signs and relaying them to the batter while at second base.
Here’s what Torrealba told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas:
We could all be wrong, but we could all be right, so I decided to say something. I don’t take it personally. I don’t take any credit away from them. I don’t even think they needed to do that. We were making a lot of bad pitches, and they hit a lot of mistakes.
Asked about the incident, Jones replied that “he’s just trying to make excuses for getting their butts kicked.”
As you’d expect, Yankees manager Joe Girardi didn’t appreciate the accusation, saying: “I don’t care for that. He’s yelling at one of our guys and I don’t appreciate that. I’ve said I’m going to protect my guys.”
Mark Teixeira also revealed that Torrealba complained about sign-stealing to him Tuesday night and Texas manager Ron Washington noted that Alex Rodriguez has a reputation for stealing signs, so clearly the Rangers have been stewing about this for a while now.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)