Jun 16, 2011, 7:12 PM EDT
Angels owner Arte Moreno is done spending for the moment, sources told Mark Saxon of ESPNLosAngeles.com. According to the report, Moreno has told GM Tony Reagins he won’t be allowed to take on any additional salary this summer.
Including the $12 million they’re paying Scott Kazmir and the $11.4 million due to Gary Matthews Jr. in the final season of his 68-year deal, the Angels are spending just over $140 million on a 33-37 team this year.
$18 million of that is going to their big winter acquisition, Vernon Wells. However, Wells is hitting just .193/.235/.317 with six homers and 16 RBI in 171 at-bats for his new club.
The Angels are also paying $8.8 million to relievers Scott Downs and Hisanori Takahashi after signing them as free agents. Downs has been exceptional, but he has served two stints on the DL. Takahashi has a 4.08 ERA and isn’t much more than a mop-up man at the moment (18 of his last 19 appearances have come in Angels losses).
Despite their struggles, the Angels are still very much in the AL West race. They’re just three games back of the Rangers, who have lost five in a row. However, without reinforcements, they’ll be at a definite disadvantage as the year goes on. They have little pitching depth beyond their current rotation, and while their offense could get a little better if Wells and Torii Hunter rebound, the team doesn’t figure to finish any higher than ninth or 10th in the AL in runs (it’s 11th right now).
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)