Jun 16, 2011, 7:12 PM EDT
Angels owner Arte Moreno is done spending for the moment, sources told Mark Saxon of ESPNLosAngeles.com. According to the report, Moreno has told GM Tony Reagins he won’t be allowed to take on any additional salary this summer.
Including the $12 million they’re paying Scott Kazmir and the $11.4 million due to Gary Matthews Jr. in the final season of his 68-year deal, the Angels are spending just over $140 million on a 33-37 team this year.
$18 million of that is going to their big winter acquisition, Vernon Wells. However, Wells is hitting just .193/.235/.317 with six homers and 16 RBI in 171 at-bats for his new club.
The Angels are also paying $8.8 million to relievers Scott Downs and Hisanori Takahashi after signing them as free agents. Downs has been exceptional, but he has served two stints on the DL. Takahashi has a 4.08 ERA and isn’t much more than a mop-up man at the moment (18 of his last 19 appearances have come in Angels losses).
Despite their struggles, the Angels are still very much in the AL West race. They’re just three games back of the Rangers, who have lost five in a row. However, without reinforcements, they’ll be at a definite disadvantage as the year goes on. They have little pitching depth beyond their current rotation, and while their offense could get a little better if Wells and Torii Hunter rebound, the team doesn’t figure to finish any higher than ninth or 10th in the AL in runs (it’s 11th right now).
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 8
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 59
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 25
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 29
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)