Jun 16, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT
Today: he’s up, called up from Tacoma.
Ackley was hitting .300 and getting on base at a .418 clip through 326 plate appearances, and adding some power (.487 SLG) to boot. His not being promoted before now was almost certainly a function of Super Two calculation, but you’ll have that. He should likely be plugged right in the Mariners’ lineup, giving it a bit of OBP and doubles power that it sorely lacks at the moment.
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 2
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 57
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 24
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 161
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (160)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)