Jun 16, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Tsuyoshi Nishioka was back in Minnesota’s lineup today for the first time since breaking his leg on April 7 and after finishing off a two-game sweep of the White Sox the Twins activated Joe Mauer and Glen Perkins from the disabled list as well.
Mauer has been out since mid-April, but because of the ongoing uncertainty surrounding the strength of his surgically repaired knee the Twins have decided to keep three catchers on the roster for a while. Instead of demoting Drew Butera or Rene Rivera, they outrighted career minor leaguer Brian Dinkelman back to Triple-A.
Chuck James was also optioned to Triple-A to make room in the bullpen for Perkins, who was emerging as the Twins’ most reliable reliever before suffering an oblique injury last month.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 0
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 46
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 6
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 19
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 42