Jun 17, 2011, 4:15 PM EST
Because of a J.J. Putz blown save, Arizona’s Ian Kennedy was denied a win last night despite holding the Giants to just an unearned run over eight innings. I noticed afterwards that it was the fifth time already this season that Kennedy has pitched at least eight innings and allowed one or no runs. As it turns out, that’s tied for the major league lead.
Here’s the pitchers with the most starts fitting those two qualifications (8 or more IP, 0 or 1 runs allowed):
And still no Roy Halladay. He’s had just two, those coming back-to-back against the Padres and Mets at the end of April. He’s had three starts in which he’s pitched at least eight innings and allowed two runs and two more in which he’s come out after seven scoreless innings.
Josh Beckett, the major league leader in ERA, has also had two. He’s lasted eight innings in only three of his 14 starts.
Jair Jurrjens, the NL ERA leader, has had one.
Kennedy has quietly been outstanding for the Diamondbacks this season. In all, he’s allowed one run or fewer eight times in 14 starts. Still, he hasn’t gotten a lot of hype. Giving up nine runs to the Cardinals in his third start of the year has left him with an inflated ERA that he only finally managed to bring under 3.00 with last night’s performance. However, he’ll deserve All-Star consideration if he keeps this up.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)