Jun 17, 2011, 6:41 PM EDT
CBSBayArea.com’s Mychael Urban reports that Freddy Sanchez got a second opinion on his injured right shoulder on Wednesday and will stay the course in his plan to rehab the injury.
The second opinion came from Dr. Gary Waslewski, the doctor who performed surgery on Sanchez’s other shoulder last December.
Surgery to repair Sanchez’s dislocated shoulder likely would have ended his 2011 season. The current plan has him aimed to return shortly after the All-Star break. However, there’s still the chance that he won’t make enough progress and that he’ll have to go in and have his damaged labrum and shoulder capsule repaired.
Sanchez was the Giants’ most consistent hitter before going down, having batted .289/.332/.397 in 239 at-bats this season.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)