Jun 17, 2011, 5:22 PM EDT
The series represents the Yankees’ second trip to Wrigley Field during interleague play and the first since 2003. A season-high 42,219 attended the game.
Davis entered the day 0-5 with a 5.90 ERA since joining the Cubs last month. He hadn’t pitched more than 6 1/3 innings in any of his six starts this season.
Against the Yankees, though, he brought his ‘A’ game, taking a shutout into the eighth. He was only charged with a run after he left, when Mark Teixeira singled in Nick Swisher from second off reliever Sean Marshall.
Carlos Marmol took over after that and got four outs, three coming via the K, for his 14th save.
The Yankees managed just five hits, three of them off Davis. Swisher’s double, which knocked Davis from the game, was the only one that went for extra bases.
With just one run allowed in 7 1/3 innings, Davis dropped his ERA almost a full run to 4.95.
Freddy Garcia gave up all three runs for the Yankees in falling to 5-6. The first two came quick, as a Kosuke Fukudome walk, a Starlin Castro double and an Aramis Ramirez single gave the Cubs a 2-0 lead in the first.
Another Castro double and Ramirez single resulted in the third run in the third.
Castro, who just reached five times in the win over the Brewers on Thursday, now has eight doubles in his last nine games. His average stands at .314.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)