Jun 17, 2011, 5:22 PM EDT
The series represents the Yankees’ second trip to Wrigley Field during interleague play and the first since 2003. A season-high 42,219 attended the game.
Davis entered the day 0-5 with a 5.90 ERA since joining the Cubs last month. He hadn’t pitched more than 6 1/3 innings in any of his six starts this season.
Against the Yankees, though, he brought his ‘A’ game, taking a shutout into the eighth. He was only charged with a run after he left, when Mark Teixeira singled in Nick Swisher from second off reliever Sean Marshall.
Carlos Marmol took over after that and got four outs, three coming via the K, for his 14th save.
The Yankees managed just five hits, three of them off Davis. Swisher’s double, which knocked Davis from the game, was the only one that went for extra bases.
With just one run allowed in 7 1/3 innings, Davis dropped his ERA almost a full run to 4.95.
Freddy Garcia gave up all three runs for the Yankees in falling to 5-6. The first two came quick, as a Kosuke Fukudome walk, a Starlin Castro double and an Aramis Ramirez single gave the Cubs a 2-0 lead in the first.
Another Castro double and Ramirez single resulted in the third run in the third.
Castro, who just reached five times in the win over the Brewers on Thursday, now has eight doubles in his last nine games. His average stands at .314.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 6
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 24
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)