Jun 17, 2011, 5:22 PM EDT
The series represents the Yankees’ second trip to Wrigley Field during interleague play and the first since 2003. A season-high 42,219 attended the game.
Davis entered the day 0-5 with a 5.90 ERA since joining the Cubs last month. He hadn’t pitched more than 6 1/3 innings in any of his six starts this season.
Against the Yankees, though, he brought his ‘A’ game, taking a shutout into the eighth. He was only charged with a run after he left, when Mark Teixeira singled in Nick Swisher from second off reliever Sean Marshall.
Carlos Marmol took over after that and got four outs, three coming via the K, for his 14th save.
The Yankees managed just five hits, three of them off Davis. Swisher’s double, which knocked Davis from the game, was the only one that went for extra bases.
With just one run allowed in 7 1/3 innings, Davis dropped his ERA almost a full run to 4.95.
Freddy Garcia gave up all three runs for the Yankees in falling to 5-6. The first two came quick, as a Kosuke Fukudome walk, a Starlin Castro double and an Aramis Ramirez single gave the Cubs a 2-0 lead in the first.
Another Castro double and Ramirez single resulted in the third run in the third.
Castro, who just reached five times in the win over the Brewers on Thursday, now has eight doubles in his last nine games. His average stands at .314.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 99
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 28
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (99)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)