Jun 17, 2011, 5:22 PM EDT
The series represents the Yankees’ second trip to Wrigley Field during interleague play and the first since 2003. A season-high 42,219 attended the game.
Davis entered the day 0-5 with a 5.90 ERA since joining the Cubs last month. He hadn’t pitched more than 6 1/3 innings in any of his six starts this season.
Against the Yankees, though, he brought his ‘A’ game, taking a shutout into the eighth. He was only charged with a run after he left, when Mark Teixeira singled in Nick Swisher from second off reliever Sean Marshall.
Carlos Marmol took over after that and got four outs, three coming via the K, for his 14th save.
The Yankees managed just five hits, three of them off Davis. Swisher’s double, which knocked Davis from the game, was the only one that went for extra bases.
With just one run allowed in 7 1/3 innings, Davis dropped his ERA almost a full run to 4.95.
Freddy Garcia gave up all three runs for the Yankees in falling to 5-6. The first two came quick, as a Kosuke Fukudome walk, a Starlin Castro double and an Aramis Ramirez single gave the Cubs a 2-0 lead in the first.
Another Castro double and Ramirez single resulted in the third run in the third.
Castro, who just reached five times in the win over the Brewers on Thursday, now has eight doubles in his last nine games. His average stands at .314.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 29
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)