Jun 17, 2011, 5:22 PM EDT
The series represents the Yankees’ second trip to Wrigley Field during interleague play and the first since 2003. A season-high 42,219 attended the game.
Davis entered the day 0-5 with a 5.90 ERA since joining the Cubs last month. He hadn’t pitched more than 6 1/3 innings in any of his six starts this season.
Against the Yankees, though, he brought his ‘A’ game, taking a shutout into the eighth. He was only charged with a run after he left, when Mark Teixeira singled in Nick Swisher from second off reliever Sean Marshall.
Carlos Marmol took over after that and got four outs, three coming via the K, for his 14th save.
The Yankees managed just five hits, three of them off Davis. Swisher’s double, which knocked Davis from the game, was the only one that went for extra bases.
With just one run allowed in 7 1/3 innings, Davis dropped his ERA almost a full run to 4.95.
Freddy Garcia gave up all three runs for the Yankees in falling to 5-6. The first two came quick, as a Kosuke Fukudome walk, a Starlin Castro double and an Aramis Ramirez single gave the Cubs a 2-0 lead in the first.
Another Castro double and Ramirez single resulted in the third run in the third.
Castro, who just reached five times in the win over the Brewers on Thursday, now has eight doubles in his last nine games. His average stands at .314.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 28
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (102)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)