Jun 17, 2011, 8:03 PM EDT
The future is nigh.
2009 No. 2 overall pick Dustin Ackley will make his major league debut against the Phillies a little over two hours from now. And according to Greg Johns of MLB.com, the 23-year-old second baseman will bat seventh.
I know, I know. While it’s tempting to lose it over Ackley batting seventh, it would be unfair to install him as the No. 2 hitter right out of the gate, especially with Roy Oswalt on the hill for the Phillies. Granted, Oswalt hasn’t been himself lately, but that’s no easy task, even for someone with a polished approach like Ackley. Let’s not cast him as the lineup’s savior.
Ackley had a .421 on-base percentage with Triple-A Tacoma and compiled a ridiculous 117/130 K/BB ratio over 918 plate appearances in the minor leagues, so it won’t be long before he’s the No. 2 hitter behind Ichiro. It might not happen tomorrow or even next week, but it will happen soon enough.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)