Jun 17, 2011, 8:30 PM EST
The Giants have Aubrey Huff in the DH spot tonight, with Pablo Sandoval at first and Miguel Tejada at third base. Cody Ross, as usual, is playing left field, so Pat Burrell finds himself on the bench yet again.
Burrell is only getting occasional starts against left-handers at the moment. And that does make some sense: the Giants are certainly better off defensively with Ross in left field and Nate Schierholtz in right, plus Burrell has hit lefties quite a bit better than righties over the course of his career.
This year, though, Burrell is hitting just .167/.259/.250 in 48 at-bats against lefties, compared to .255/.383/.489 in 94 at-bats against righties.
And with the DH spot available, playing Burrell should be a no-brainer for this Giants team that has struggled to score runs all year. It’s hard to see why the team is still spending a roster spot on him if it can’t use him now. It’s certainly not for his skills as a pinch-hitter (he’s 2-for-15 this year, and he has a .200 average lifetime as a pinch-hitter). Unless he gets hot, there’s a good chance he’ll be let go once Brandon Belt is ready to return from a hairline fracture in his wrist.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 28
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 58
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27