Jun 17, 2011, 8:30 PM EDT
The Giants have Aubrey Huff in the DH spot tonight, with Pablo Sandoval at first and Miguel Tejada at third base. Cody Ross, as usual, is playing left field, so Pat Burrell finds himself on the bench yet again.
Burrell is only getting occasional starts against left-handers at the moment. And that does make some sense: the Giants are certainly better off defensively with Ross in left field and Nate Schierholtz in right, plus Burrell has hit lefties quite a bit better than righties over the course of his career.
This year, though, Burrell is hitting just .167/.259/.250 in 48 at-bats against lefties, compared to .255/.383/.489 in 94 at-bats against righties.
And with the DH spot available, playing Burrell should be a no-brainer for this Giants team that has struggled to score runs all year. It’s hard to see why the team is still spending a roster spot on him if it can’t use him now. It’s certainly not for his skills as a pinch-hitter (he’s 2-for-15 this year, and he has a .200 average lifetime as a pinch-hitter). Unless he gets hot, there’s a good chance he’ll be let go once Brandon Belt is ready to return from a hairline fracture in his wrist.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 54
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)