Jun 17, 2011, 8:30 PM EST
The Giants have Aubrey Huff in the DH spot tonight, with Pablo Sandoval at first and Miguel Tejada at third base. Cody Ross, as usual, is playing left field, so Pat Burrell finds himself on the bench yet again.
Burrell is only getting occasional starts against left-handers at the moment. And that does make some sense: the Giants are certainly better off defensively with Ross in left field and Nate Schierholtz in right, plus Burrell has hit lefties quite a bit better than righties over the course of his career.
This year, though, Burrell is hitting just .167/.259/.250 in 48 at-bats against lefties, compared to .255/.383/.489 in 94 at-bats against righties.
And with the DH spot available, playing Burrell should be a no-brainer for this Giants team that has struggled to score runs all year. It’s hard to see why the team is still spending a roster spot on him if it can’t use him now. It’s certainly not for his skills as a pinch-hitter (he’s 2-for-15 this year, and he has a .200 average lifetime as a pinch-hitter). Unless he gets hot, there’s a good chance he’ll be let go once Brandon Belt is ready to return from a hairline fracture in his wrist.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 29
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 60
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)