Jun 17, 2011, 8:30 PM EDT
The Giants have Aubrey Huff in the DH spot tonight, with Pablo Sandoval at first and Miguel Tejada at third base. Cody Ross, as usual, is playing left field, so Pat Burrell finds himself on the bench yet again.
Burrell is only getting occasional starts against left-handers at the moment. And that does make some sense: the Giants are certainly better off defensively with Ross in left field and Nate Schierholtz in right, plus Burrell has hit lefties quite a bit better than righties over the course of his career.
This year, though, Burrell is hitting just .167/.259/.250 in 48 at-bats against lefties, compared to .255/.383/.489 in 94 at-bats against righties.
And with the DH spot available, playing Burrell should be a no-brainer for this Giants team that has struggled to score runs all year. It’s hard to see why the team is still spending a roster spot on him if it can’t use him now. It’s certainly not for his skills as a pinch-hitter (he’s 2-for-15 this year, and he has a .200 average lifetime as a pinch-hitter). Unless he gets hot, there’s a good chance he’ll be let go once Brandon Belt is ready to return from a hairline fracture in his wrist.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)