Jun 17, 2011, 3:32 PM EDT
The Red Sox are expected to put lefty Andrew Miller in their starting rotation against the Padres on Monday. And it’s a good thing, too, because during an appearance on WEEI in Boston earlier today, Peter Gammons said that they nearly lost him to the divisional-rival Yankees.
“I know this: There were a lot of teams that tampered and tried to get him to do the opt-out, including the New York Yankees. A lot of teams wanted him to opt out on Wednesday. Because of his trust for the Red Sox and how much they’ve invested in him — not in terms of money but in terms of effort to just get his delivery back and be patient with him, he stayed. In some ways, they’re fortunate. Because I think he could have gotten twice as much money if he had left.”
For those unfamiliar, Miller had a clause in his contract that would have allowed him to become a free agent on Wednesday. He let the deadline pass after being told that he would soon be promoted to the major league roster.
I don’t claim to know everything about how these opt-outs work, but the Yankees were able to sign Brian Gordon away from the Phillies this week and there’s nothing to suggest that they violated any rules. “Tampering” is a very loaded word in sports, of course, but I suspect these sort of things happen pretty regularly with players who have opt-outs in their contracts.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 5
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 8
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 7
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)