Jun 17, 2011, 3:32 PM EST
The Red Sox are expected to put lefty Andrew Miller in their starting rotation against the Padres on Monday. And it’s a good thing, too, because during an appearance on WEEI in Boston earlier today, Peter Gammons said that they nearly lost him to the divisional-rival Yankees.
“I know this: There were a lot of teams that tampered and tried to get him to do the opt-out, including the New York Yankees. A lot of teams wanted him to opt out on Wednesday. Because of his trust for the Red Sox and how much they’ve invested in him — not in terms of money but in terms of effort to just get his delivery back and be patient with him, he stayed. In some ways, they’re fortunate. Because I think he could have gotten twice as much money if he had left.”
For those unfamiliar, Miller had a clause in his contract that would have allowed him to become a free agent on Wednesday. He let the deadline pass after being told that he would soon be promoted to the major league roster.
I don’t claim to know everything about how these opt-outs work, but the Yankees were able to sign Brian Gordon away from the Phillies this week and there’s nothing to suggest that they violated any rules. “Tampering” is a very loaded word in sports, of course, but I suspect these sort of things happen pretty regularly with players who have opt-outs in their contracts.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 125
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 216
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (219)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)