Gammons: Yankees “tampered” with Andrew Miller

Jun 17, 2011, 3:32 PM EDT

AP Andrew Miller Red Sox

The Red Sox are expected to put lefty Andrew Miller in their starting rotation against the Padres on Monday. And it’s a good thing, too, because during an appearance on WEEI in Boston earlier today, Peter Gammons said that they nearly lost him to the divisional-rival Yankees.

“I know this: There were a lot of teams that tampered and tried to get him to do the opt-out, including the New York Yankees. A lot of teams wanted him to opt out on Wednesday. Because of his trust for the Red Sox and how much they’ve invested in him — not in terms of money but in terms of effort to just get his delivery back and be patient with him, he stayed. In some ways, they’re fortunate. Because I think he could have gotten twice as much money if he had left.”

For those unfamiliar, Miller had a clause in his contract that would have allowed him to become a free agent on Wednesday. He let the deadline pass after being told that he would soon be promoted to the major league roster.

I don’t claim to know everything about how these opt-outs work, but the Yankees were able to sign Brian Gordon away from the Phillies this week and there’s nothing to suggest that they violated any rules. “Tampering” is a very loaded word in sports, of course, but I suspect these sort of things happen pretty regularly with players who have opt-outs in their contracts.

1. patsandsox - Jun 17, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Give me a break. I am a Red Sox fan but I am sure if he had been in the Yankees farm system with the same type of clause, the Sox would have been telling his agent to opt out so they could sign him.

I bet this crap happens all the time and not just in baseball. From what I understand football is even worse

2. largebill - Jun 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Those are very strong quotes from Gammons. Usually reporters cover themselves by being vague enough, but he was very specific in stating the Yankees tampered. For others teams he used the cop-out of non-specificity. However, in the Yankees case he made a declarative statement that he KNOWS (not thinks, or heard they may have) they tampered which is an offense punishable by the commissioner. I’m not a Yankees fan, but I hope they challenge him to prove it. Gammons has gotten a pass since his stroke. That is all fine and good if we are talking about a crazy uncle you see a couple times a year. In Gammons case however he is still employed to report on baseball which means he should meet normal journalistic standards. This could get ugly and for purely entertainment reasons I hope it does.

• patsandsox - Jun 17, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I agree. He better be able to back it up or he should have just stuck to some teams tried to tamper and left it at that.

I think in all journalism today there is way to much lets make a sensational claim with no proof to get a headline and then claim to have misspoke or some bs.

Make him report on the some crappy team for a few years and earn his way back to the big leagues.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 17, 2011 at 5:42 PM

In Gammons case however he is still employed to report on baseball.
      By the Red Sox.
      Just sayin’.

• feisprincess - Jun 18, 2011 at 12:31 AM

You seem to think Gammons can’t back up his claim. Although the article does not directly quote a source, that doesn’t mean there isn’t a quotable source or that the claim is not true. Given the Yankees’ pitching situation, I find it VERY easy to believe they would be interested in taking a shot at landing Miller. There have always been ways for teams to communicate their interest in a player without being blatant about it. If the case is weak, then Gammons’ credibility takes a hit. But if the case is strong, the commissioner will have to do something about it. Tampering is a big deal, and can result in pretty serious sanctions. Somebody is going to have some explaining to do.

3. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 17, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I wouldnt trust Gammons as far as i could throw him when he is talking about the Yankees. He wears his bias on his sleeve.

4. kopy - Jun 17, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Just another Boston-turned-”National” writer from ESPN.

• heynerdlinger - Jun 17, 2011 at 4:39 PM

..turned-Boston.

If you take a closer look, you’d see that this is an article for WEEI.com, the flagship radio station for the Red Sox. Gammo left ESPN and moved back to Boston a couple years ago.

• kopy - Jun 17, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I think he writes nationally with MLB.com now, but at any rate, point taken. However, someone who has been named national sportswriter of the year and receives this kind of exposure should try to conduct themselves with a little less of a bias. I’d have even less respect for him if he honestly didn’t believe these comments would get national attention.

5. halladaysbicepts - Jun 17, 2011 at 4:13 PM

The Bicepts just wants to wish all of the fellow posters a wonderful and happy Father’s Day to all. Thanks for the great conversation. See you guys Monday.

• ditto65 - Jun 17, 2011 at 4:16 PM

That’s three thumbs up I have given you this week. Take an extra day, you earned it.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 17, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Now who the hell would thumbs down those comments?

• kopy - Jun 17, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Put me down for a thumbs up. I’m probably batting .100 when it comes to ‘cepts, though.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 17, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Hey, thanks, Halladay. I echo those sentiments to any and all fathers in the HBT clan.

• cur68 - Jun 17, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Gotta work all weekend so I’m with the ‘cepts and UH; nothing form me till Monday either. Happy Father’s Day everybody. Hope the haul is good for us all. I’m counting on golf balls.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 17, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I’m counting on a nap—though that is unlikely.

6. poprox13 - Jun 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Good for Miller for choosing the better team over the money!

7. pisano - Jun 17, 2011 at 9:10 PM

How much can you believe Gammons, he’s a Red Sox homer.

8. kcfanatic - Jun 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Gammons should’nt even be called a baseball analyst. He’s just a mouthpiece for the BoSox. There’s nothing wrong with that, but let’s call him what he is.

9. Glenn - Jun 17, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I think that Gammons values his national “Hall of Fame” reputation more than his Boston reputation. His reports are as credible as anyone’s. He wouldn’t be so emphatic if there wasn’t some meat to the report.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet