Jun 17, 2011, 7:37 PM EDT
Although he would prefer to remain a Cub, Carlos Zambrano told FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal that he’d be willing to waive his no-trade clause if presented with a deal this summer.
“I’ve heard rumors,” he told FOXSports.com. “I’ve already talked to my family. They said, ‘It’s OK. If you think it’s good for you, if you feel you want to be traded, do it.’”
Unlike Michael Cuddyer, Zambrano has full no-trade protection under the terms of his five-year, $91.5 million deal with the Cubs. He’s owed about $10 million over the rest of this season and $18 million in 2012. They’re a $19.25 million option for 2013 on his deal, but that will only vest if he finishes first or second in the Cy Young vote this year or in the top four next year.
Zambrano, who refused to discuss the possibility of a trade last season, didn’t necessarily say that he’d be willing to go anywhere. However, he doesn’t want to stay where he isn’t wanted.
“If they come to me and want to trade me, obviously it’s because they don’t want me here anymore,” he said. “I always say that. I’ll be here until the Cubs decide to trade me.”
Zambrano has been linked to the Yankees on several occasions, though Rosenthal hears the Bombers have only minimal interest in him. The Yankees might actually prefer Zambrano’s teammate, Ryan Dempster, as a trade target.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)