Jun 17, 2011, 7:37 PM EDT
Although he would prefer to remain a Cub, Carlos Zambrano told FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal that he’d be willing to waive his no-trade clause if presented with a deal this summer.
“I’ve heard rumors,” he told FOXSports.com. “I’ve already talked to my family. They said, ‘It’s OK. If you think it’s good for you, if you feel you want to be traded, do it.’”
Unlike Michael Cuddyer, Zambrano has full no-trade protection under the terms of his five-year, $91.5 million deal with the Cubs. He’s owed about $10 million over the rest of this season and $18 million in 2012. They’re a $19.25 million option for 2013 on his deal, but that will only vest if he finishes first or second in the Cy Young vote this year or in the top four next year.
Zambrano, who refused to discuss the possibility of a trade last season, didn’t necessarily say that he’d be willing to go anywhere. However, he doesn’t want to stay where he isn’t wanted.
“If they come to me and want to trade me, obviously it’s because they don’t want me here anymore,” he said. “I always say that. I’ll be here until the Cubs decide to trade me.”
Zambrano has been linked to the Yankees on several occasions, though Rosenthal hears the Bombers have only minimal interest in him. The Yankees might actually prefer Zambrano’s teammate, Ryan Dempster, as a trade target.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)