In change of heart, Carlos Zambrano says he’ll waive no-trade clause

Jun 17, 2011, 7:37 PM EST

Carlos Zambrano AP

Although he would prefer to remain a Cub, Carlos Zambrano told FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal that he’d be willing to waive his no-trade clause if presented with a deal this summer.

“I’ve heard rumors,” he told FOXSports.com. “I’ve already talked to my family. They said, ‘It’s OK. If you think it’s good for you, if you feel you want to be traded, do it.’”

Unlike Michael Cuddyer, Zambrano has full no-trade protection under the terms of his five-year, $91.5 million deal with the Cubs.  He’s owed about $10 million over the rest of this season and $18 million in 2012.  They’re a $19.25 million option for 2013 on his deal, but that will only vest if he finishes first or second in the Cy Young vote this year or in the top four next year.

Zambrano, who refused to discuss the possibility of a trade last season, didn’t necessarily say that he’d be willing to go anywhere.  However, he doesn’t want to stay where he isn’t wanted.

“If they come to me and want to trade me, obviously it’s because they don’t want me here anymore,” he said. “I always say that. I’ll be here until the Cubs decide to trade me.”

Zambrano has been linked to the Yankees on several occasions, though Rosenthal hears the Bombers have only minimal interest in him.  The Yankees might actually prefer Zambrano’s teammate, Ryan Dempster, as a trade target.

1. pisano - Jun 17, 2011 at 8:32 PM

If the Yankees have any sense they’ll try for Dempster. Zambrano is a time bomb and could go off at any time. He’s had problems with his teammates and that doesn’t work with the Yankees.Say what you will, but the Yankees are a tight knit group that stick together and Zambrano is all about Zambrano. Way too much chaos .

2. jimbo1949 - Jun 17, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Another selfless individual answering the question nobody(except Rosenthal and the soda dispenser)cared about.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 17, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Putting Rosenthal and soda dispenser together in the same sentence is an insult to soda dispensers everywhere!

3. bigtrav425 - Jun 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Time for the Cubs to rebuild a lil bit..get what ya can for Zambrano

4. hoopmatch - Jun 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Dude has had at least five second chances with the Cubs so far. I would have traded him after he beat up catcher Michael Barrett in the club house in 2007.

• vikesfansteve - Jun 18, 2011 at 4:12 PM

They got in a shoving match & while Barrett was being held by another player Zambrano cheap shotted him. The dude also throws temper tantrums at least once a season. If he could get out of his mental rut & control his emotions instead of being an out of control child with anger issues then he would be a good pick up for teams struggling to find a quality starter. Reminds me of Jaquin Anduhar.

5. fthrvic - Jun 18, 2011 at 3:06 PM

@hoopmatch-and the dugout.

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out Z. Memo to Cubs management, get everything you can for him.

6. abrahamfroman - Jun 18, 2011 at 11:47 PM

I say the cubs should keep him. I love when he gets fired up and flips out, quality entertainment. Besides, Wood and Big Z are the last link to 2003 with a lights out prior and the incredible hulk in right field. Don’t sell low and keep him a cubbie!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (4037)