Jun 17, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT
9:08 AM: Jed Lowrie, who has been bothered by a left shoulder injury since colliding with teammate Carl Crawford on May 29, could be headed for the disabled list after leaving last night’s game in the first inning.
According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, Lowrie told Red Sox manager Terry Francona that he feared the joint “slipped out” of his shoulder when he struck out against Rays lefty David Price with the bases loaded.
“I don’t really know what’s going on,” Lowrie said. “I just know what I felt. I certainly wasn’t this sore (previously).”
Lowrie underwent an MRI last week which revealed no structural damage in the shoulder. He is expected to undergo further testing today to determine why he continues to have discomfort.
While Lowrie was the best thing since sliced bread in April, he is batting just .128 since the collision with Crawford. He is hitless over his last 15 at-bats, which has pulled his batting average down to .270 for the year.
Drew Sutton was pulled after seven innings in last night’s game with Triple-A Pawtucket, which could be an indication that a roster move is on the way.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (233)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)