Joe Morgan is getting his own radio show

Jun 17, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT

Joe Morgan headshot

Fired by ESPN in November, longtime Sunday Night Baseball announcer and Hall of Fame second baseman Joe Morgan will soon launch his own syndicated weekday afternoon radio show, according to Media Bistro.

The Joe Morgan Show will begin August 22 with a pre-promoted guest list that includes Johnny Bench, Sandy Koufax, Willie Mays, Bob Gibson, and Hank Aaron.

USA Sports, which will syndicate the show, issued a press release that includes a few quotes from Morgan:

While I’m best known for baseball, I’ve always had a love of all sports. I’m fortunate that my career has allowed me to meet some of the most amazing people, and I have heard so many remarkable stories.  With my new show, I am looking forward to sharing these stories, as well as speaking with today’s sports personalities and newsmakers.

Morgan, who’ll turn 68 years old less than a month after the show’s premiere, will be on the air just in time to give his highly anticipated thoughts on the Moneyball movie and how it’s ruining the world.

1. kopy - Jun 17, 2011 at 12:33 PM

That’s a very legendary guest list he has queued up, but I wonder if he’s going to talk to any current star athletes. Otherwise, he’s probably only going to reach men past a certain age. Maybe he and Jim Bowden can talk about OPSBIs.

2. bloodysock - Jun 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Five ‘I’ references in a three sentence paragraph.

‘I’ll’ be sure not to listen.

3. b7p19 - Jun 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Oh my. I hope Craig gets to bourbon country fast…

4. dwishinsky - Jun 17, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Tune in to melt brain cells guaranteed.

5. hep3 - Jun 17, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I think he should have Harold Reynolds on with him and guarantee an early demise to the show.

6. Ari Collins - Jun 17, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I’m as much a Morgan basher as anyone else, but maybe he’ll stick to telling baseball stories and getting other people to tell baseball stories (and that’s quite a first-show guest list). He was a lousy analyst, but I’d bet he has some good stories to tell.

• paperlions - Jun 17, 2011 at 2:37 PM

The well-documented problem with his stories is that they don’t resemble fact….as someone once said about Joe, he is “harmlessly estranged from the notion of fact.” In other words, he doesn’t remember what happened and he just makes it up as he goes.

I would love to hear actual stories that involve historical baseball figures, Morgan is simply not the person to convey such tales.

7. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 17, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Lets just hope he sticks to baseball. There is nothing worse than listening to an old and washed up athlete who thinks they are a political analyst or social commentator.

8. halladaysbicepts - Jun 17, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I wish to hear Joe Morgan’s opinion not just on baseball, but his views on life, death and taxation without representation.

Now that Glenn Beck is looking for a job, could you imagine Morgan and Beck being co-hosts? What would that daily conversation be like between the two of them?

What a great duo that would make. It would be the greatest duo since Mr. Roarke and Tatoo.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Looking at Joe’s picture above and thinking about it, he sure does look happy, doesn’t he? The picture must have been taken right after Morgan got a BJ from Jon Miller.

9. thefalcon123 - Jun 17, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I can only assume Joe’s hatred of all things Sabermetric is his way of expressing his own self-loathing. You’d think a guy with a .mediocre 271 batting average but .amazing 392 OBP would sing the praises of OBP as an all important statistics (or the importance of not getting caught stealing, where a guy lies on the defensive spectrum, park factors with his year in the Astrodome, ect, ect, ect). Or maybe he’s just trying to be humble…

…oh, who are we kidding. Joe Morgan is one of the 2 or 3 greatest 2nd baseman to ever play and one of the 2 or 3 biggest dumbasses to ever set foot in a broadcast booth.

10. cur68 - Jun 17, 2011 at 1:43 PM

God no. A public platform for someone as uninformed as Joe Morgan? If he’s got such a need to comment publicly why doesn’t he just comment on someone else’s blog like the rest of that sort do? I mean, that’s good enough for me, I don’t see why it isn’t good enough for Joe Freakin’ Morgan. That way more reasonable people can subtly (or not so subtly; its a free country) mock him till he gets the message and tones it down to a bit.

Note to Joe; You were a great ballplayer. Really great. But you suck at TV. Really suck. Go and coach. Or have someone ghost write your autobiography. Anything but air your opinions to the world in a live format. Anything.

11. rotaryfone - Jun 17, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Pretty cool that as of yesterday, Joe had been fired from ESPN, while Mike Schur (Ken Tremendous) had a byline on its front page. Progress!

• Ari Collins - Jun 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM

My god did I love FJM.

12. lanflfan - Jun 17, 2011 at 2:18 PM

I think it’s great that the tremendous talent known as Joe Morgan has a job. I am especially happy that, since he is gainfully employed again, my tax dollars won’t have to go to paying for his old, crusty, ignorant arse to live. Hopefully he is employed for many more years, mindlessly spouting his drivel to the uniformed masses willing to listen, the drunk and high who have nothing else to do and to insomniacs needing a cure.

13. mattjg - Jun 17, 2011 at 2:57 PM

I really don’t know if this show will succeed or not. If the show maintains its consistency I think it could be consistently good, but you can’t predict consistency before it shows consistency. A lot of people like to judge radio shows by ratings, but they miss a lot of what you can learn if you’ve actually been in radio. A radio show may have high “ratings numbers” but it won’t succeed unless it has heart. I remember back in 1977 me and Sparky Anderson hosted a show 4 nights a week in Cincinnati. Dave Concepcion, who should be in the Hall of Fame, came on the show and told me, “Joe, you know what makes a good show, it’s the people on the show.” Now you have people trying to put radio shows on the internet and other areas that aren’t even over the airwaves and are just forums for them hearing themselves speak. The way radio radio is so spread out today, you’ll never have a perfect show anymore. When’s the last time you heard a DJ talk for 24 hours straight? Tony Perez used to host a radio show for a month straight in the offseason, no bathroom breaks, no naps. I miss those days.

• rotaryfone - Jun 17, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Solid gold.

14. boston992 - Jun 17, 2011 at 4:55 PM

OMG, I can’t imagine listening to him on the radio, that would be as exciting as watching paint dry. I couldn’t stand listening to him on Sunday night baseball, so needless to say, I was thrilled to hear they fired him. I do miss John Miller though, he has a great “base ball announcer” voice. Joe’s monotone delivery was enough to put me to sleep, and, he is a Red Sox hater, and never tried to hide that fact, especially when he was working a Sox game. As Charles Barkley would say, “He’s turrible”, lol.

15. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 17, 2011 at 5:53 PM

It’ll be fun to hear him say the word “vurry” instead of “very” a trillion times when saying things like “OPS is vurry bad” and “BABIP is a vurry big waste of time.”

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4051)