Jun 17, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
Coghlan was asked to switch to center field this season after previously never playing the position as a pro and has fared relatively well there, but he hit just .230 with five homers in 65 games, as his OPS has dropped from .850 as a rookie to .718 last season and now .668 this year.
Making the move even more surprising is that the Marlins called up journeyman DeWayne Wise from Triple-A to take Coghlan’s roster spot and compete with Emilio Bonifacio to replace him in center field.
Wise signed a minor-league deal with the Marlins last week after the Blue Jays agreed to let him go despite a .338 batting average at Triple-A, but he’s a 33-year-old career .222 hitter with a .642 OPS in 376 games in the majors. In other words, for as bad as Coghlan has been this season he’s still out-produced Wise’s career numbers. Bonifacio has similarly terrible career numbers, although he’s been more productive this year.
Losing 14 of 15 games tends to convince a team they need to do something, but this move certainly doesn’t make the Marlins any better.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (105)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)