Jun 17, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
Yesterday the Marlins lost for the 14th time in 15 games to slide into sole possession of last place in the NL East and judging from Hanley Ramirez‘s comments about having Edwin Rodriguez’s “back till death” the players clearly think their manager is on the hot seat.
Team president David Samson told Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post that firing Rodriguez “is not something that I have pondered.”
He stopped well short of saying Rodriguez’s job is safe, however, as Capozzi notes that he “chose his words carefully” and “left that door open a bit” while saying:
Obviously we are going through an unprecedented bad stretch and we are disappointed. But as quickly as things have gone bad, we are hoping they can get good again. I am confident we have the ability to get out of this. We’ll just have to see how we do it. You hear this from us every year: Everyone is always evaluated every day, always.
Roughly translated, that sure seems like “we’re not ready to fire him right now, but we’re also not ruling it out if the losing continues for much longer.”
Rodriguez, who took over as manager in the middle of last year when the Marlins fired Fredi Gonzalez following back-to-back winning seasons, has gone 78-83 in one game short of a full season at the helm.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 5
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 44
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)