Michael Cuddyer cares so much about the Twins that he’ll accept a trade

Jun 17, 2011, 6:11 PM EST

Michael Cuddyer AP

Talking to CBSSports.com’s Scott Miller, Michael Cuddyer said he’d be OK with waiving his limited no-trade clause and accepting a deal out of Minnesota if it’d help the franchise.

As Cuddyer himself admitted, his no-trade clause really isn’t an obstacle in the first place.  It blocks trades to just three teams, and Cuddyer wasn’t even positive which teams they are.

“Can’t remember,” he told Miller. “I think Oakland is one. Toronto. And … I’m not sure.”

Cuddyer, who hopes to stay in Minnesota in 2012 and beyond, is in the final year of an extension he signed back in 2008.  That contract included $24 million guaranteed, but since the Twins picked up the 2011 option, the deal ended up being worth $33.5 million over four years.

After a very slow start — he didn’t drive in a single run until his 17th game of the season — Cuddyer is up to .282/.347/.449 for the year.  He has five homers in June and 10 overall.

Plus, while Cuddyer doesn’t have a lot of defensive value, his ability to step in and serve as a stopgap anywhere other than shortstop or catcher makes him a nice guy to have around.  He’s started 30 games in right, 17 games at first and 13 games at second this year.

The Braves, Mariners, Phillies, Reds and Diamondbacks are a few of the contenders that he might be able to help.

1. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 17, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Cuddy has always been a classy guy. This just makes it even more obvious.

• foreverchipper10 - Jun 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I would not be opposed to seeing him in a Braves uniform. I will take any defensive replacement over stone hands Conrad.

(PS: I don’t know how this happened but I can post at work and boy does that make me happy. I hope it lasts.)

2. joeflaccosunibrow - Jun 17, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I care so much for my country that I will accept this tax refund check and go off and spend it in the name of my country and state.

• JBerardi - Jun 17, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Take that, terrorists.

3. AK47 - Jun 17, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Why are they asking Cuddy if he’s willing to waive his no-trade clause? The Twins are winners of 10 out of their last 12, they’re getting Mauer back tonight, the starting pitching staff has been stellar in June and a lot of their other bats are due back over the next two weeks. I mean, I can understand if they dealt him given that he’s in the last year of his contract, but in the AL Central, despite being 9 games back, the Twins are still in it. 87 victories will win the AL Central this year.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 17, 2011 at 8:31 PM

the only one asking was the reporter, Scott Miller?

• kopy - Jun 17, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I would not fret. Unless this 3rd mystery team is a contender, I don’t think his no-trade clause would come into play. Why would Oakland or Toronto want to add him?

• natstowngreg - Jun 18, 2011 at 7:09 PM

A smart GM looks at all the possibilities. Right now, the Twins; record says “seller,” but, as others have notes, their recent play and division could make them a “buyer.” We’re still about 6 weeks from the trading deadline.

• whatagreatfootballmind - Jun 19, 2011 at 10:45 AM

2 weeks ago whent the Twins were 15.5 back I would say for sure sellers, however, the Twins have won 12 of 14 and have cut that lead to 8, in just over 2 weeks. The Twins have always struggled in June and like mentioned have on 12 of 14 and are always a second half team. Everybody is coming back slowly but surely: Mauer is back, Nishyoka is back, Thome will be back after the NL swing (no need for a DH), Morneau hopefully will be back. The Twins have been playing with the people named Tosoni, Revere, Butera, and something called Dinkleman. The Twins have also played the least amount of home game in MLB so far. Twins are a great team at home…when healthy. 8 games isn’t much to make up in over 3 months of baseball left.

4. noozehound - Jun 17, 2011 at 10:50 PM

AK47, the twins have an abundance of outfielders right now. Especially with the young players who filled in showing they can ball with the big boys. Plus, both he and Kubel are in contract years and the easy Kubey was hitting earlier this season odds are he is the higher priority to resign. We love Cuddy, but we just dont need him anymore. It roils be nice to get a real starting pitcher for him, but knowing Bill Smith he’ll probably be traded for another set up reliever.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2731)
  2. W. Myers (2480)
  3. C. McGehee (2086)
  4. D. Ross (2081)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1934)
  1. J. Shields (1828)