Jun 17, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
This offseason Paul Konerko seriously considered signing with the Diamondbacks, in large part to be closer to his family, but ultimately decided to re-sign with the White Sox for $37.5 million over three years.
With the White Sox heading to Arizona for an interleague series that begins tonight Konerko told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune that he doesn’t regret the decision:
When you make a decision like that you have to know you made the right decision at that moment, especially with all the information in front of you. If that means you had a bad year, the team didn’t do well, the team you were supposed to go to does great, you have to make a commitment to not judge a decision … comparing it to what you could have had.
If you’re going to do that, you have to do that as the whole body of that contract. It would have to be three years from now. And you can never play that game because you never know if it would have worked out had you gone to the other place. Who knows?
In other words, the Diamondbacks (38-32) actually have a better record than the White Sox (33-37), but we’re not even halfway through the first season of a three-year deal and Konerko is playing very well, hitting a career-high .321 with 16 homers and a .945 OPS through 67 games.
Meanwhile, instead of paying huge money to Konerko the Diamondbacks went with a cheap platoon of Juan Miranda and Xavier Nady at first base and rank 11th among NL teams with a .741 OPS from the position.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)