Jun 17, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
This offseason Paul Konerko seriously considered signing with the Diamondbacks, in large part to be closer to his family, but ultimately decided to re-sign with the White Sox for $37.5 million over three years.
With the White Sox heading to Arizona for an interleague series that begins tonight Konerko told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune that he doesn’t regret the decision:
When you make a decision like that you have to know you made the right decision at that moment, especially with all the information in front of you. If that means you had a bad year, the team didn’t do well, the team you were supposed to go to does great, you have to make a commitment to not judge a decision … comparing it to what you could have had.
If you’re going to do that, you have to do that as the whole body of that contract. It would have to be three years from now. And you can never play that game because you never know if it would have worked out had you gone to the other place. Who knows?
In other words, the Diamondbacks (38-32) actually have a better record than the White Sox (33-37), but we’re not even halfway through the first season of a three-year deal and Konerko is playing very well, hitting a career-high .321 with 16 homers and a .945 OPS through 67 games.
Meanwhile, instead of paying huge money to Konerko the Diamondbacks went with a cheap platoon of Juan Miranda and Xavier Nady at first base and rank 11th among NL teams with a .741 OPS from the position.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)