Jun 17, 2011, 2:38 AM EDT
Montgomery Biscuits left-hander Matt Moore, one of the game’s best pitching prospects, threw a no-hitter Thursday in an 8-0 win over the Mobile BayBears.
It was the first no-hitter in Biscuits history and the first nine-inning no-no for a Rays farmhand since 2002. Moore struck out 11 and walked two in the 106-pitch outing. He outdueled another excellent pitching prospect, the Diamondbacks’ Jarrod Parker.
BayBears first baseman Paul Goldschmidt, the home run leader in the minors this season, went 0-for-3 against Moore in the contest.
With the victory, Moore moved to 4-3 this season. He has a 2.43 ERA and a 103/23 K/BB ratio in 77 2/3 innings, and Southern League hitters are batting just .186 against him.
In another organization, Moore, who turns 22 on Saturday, would likely be primed for a midseason callup. However, the Rays are cautious as any team in baseball with their pitching prospects and even if more injuries strike their rotation, it’s possible we won’t see him in the majors this season.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (77)