Jun 17, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
Hafner is in the lineup tonight as the designated hitter and cleanup man, but starting next Friday his playing time will be limited as the Indians begin a nine-game road trip in NL ballparks. Manny Acta has said that Hafner won’t be asked to play any first base, limiting him to pinch-hitting duties.
Acta also indicated that he wanted to see Hafner play more games at Double-A before deciding he was ready, but Hafner going 3-for-6 with a double in two rehab starts apparently convinced the Indians it was time.
Buck, who was signed as a free agent this offseason after being cut loose by the A’s, hit just .226 with a .617 OPS in 29 games. Hafner hit .345 with a .958 OPS in 32 games before the injury.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 26
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 43
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)