Jun 17, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
Hafner is in the lineup tonight as the designated hitter and cleanup man, but starting next Friday his playing time will be limited as the Indians begin a nine-game road trip in NL ballparks. Manny Acta has said that Hafner won’t be asked to play any first base, limiting him to pinch-hitting duties.
Acta also indicated that he wanted to see Hafner play more games at Double-A before deciding he was ready, but Hafner going 3-for-6 with a double in two rehab starts apparently convinced the Indians it was time.
Buck, who was signed as a free agent this offseason after being cut loose by the A’s, hit just .226 with a .617 OPS in 29 games. Hafner hit .345 with a .958 OPS in 32 games before the injury.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 25
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 11
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)