Jun 17, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
Hafner is in the lineup tonight as the designated hitter and cleanup man, but starting next Friday his playing time will be limited as the Indians begin a nine-game road trip in NL ballparks. Manny Acta has said that Hafner won’t be asked to play any first base, limiting him to pinch-hitting duties.
Acta also indicated that he wanted to see Hafner play more games at Double-A before deciding he was ready, but Hafner going 3-for-6 with a double in two rehab starts apparently convinced the Indians it was time.
Buck, who was signed as a free agent this offseason after being cut loose by the A’s, hit just .226 with a .617 OPS in 29 games. Hafner hit .345 with a .958 OPS in 32 games before the injury.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 64
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (98)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)