White Sox GM turns down Jake Peavy’s offer to work in relief

Jun 17, 2011, 1:14 PM EST

Jake Peavy

Earlier this week Jake Peavy offered to move to the bullpen once he comes off the disabled list, but today White Sox general manager Ken Williams shot down that idea.

Williams told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune that Peavy will return as a starter, saying taking him up on the bullpen offer “never crossed my mind.”

Peavy, who has never pitched in relief as a big leaguer, struck out nine batters in six innings of scoreless, two-hit ball in a rehab start yesterday at Triple-A and is slated to come off the DL at some point next week.

Peavy missed 10 months following shoulder surgery last year, returned to make five starts with a 4.66 ERA this season, and has been on the shelf for the past two weeks with a groin injury.

1. b7p19 - Jun 17, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I hope he comes back strong. That kid is a lot of fun to watch pitch.

2. halladaysbicepts - Jun 17, 2011 at 1:30 PM

The fact of the matter is that I think Peavy’s career as a starter is over due to his inability to say off the DL. I can’t remember the last year that he has been healthy for 3/4 of the year.

I think Peavy knows this and wants to extend his career in a bullpen capacity ala Kerry Wood comparison.

• b7p19 - Jun 17, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Looking past the whole “The fact of the matter is that I think…” thing, I agree with you. It’s a shame because it wasn’t that long ago he was one of the best.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 17, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Yeah, I have a habit of using that phrase in conjunction with an opinion. Just one of those phrases that I have used for years.

But, yeah, it is a shame about Peavy. Even though when healthy he very good, I think he may be damaged goods at this point. I have seen this happen with too many pitchers to mention. The bullpen may help him preserve his career a few more years.

3. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 17, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Why hasnt Peavy coming out of the bullpen crossed Williams mind? I would suggest whatever can help you win should cross your mind as a GM. I do think it shows a lot of class that Peavy would volunteer to do something like that. Not every former Cy Young winner would do that.

4. kopy - Jun 17, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Having both Phil Humber and Jake Peavy on my Fantasy Baseball team is nice, and I’m fortunate Peavy is going to keep starting, but it would be a lot nicer if the White Sox would kick Danks out of the rotation.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester