Jun 17, 2011, 1:14 PM EST
Earlier this week Jake Peavy offered to move to the bullpen once he comes off the disabled list, but today White Sox general manager Ken Williams shot down that idea.
Williams told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune that Peavy will return as a starter, saying taking him up on the bullpen offer “never crossed my mind.”
Peavy, who has never pitched in relief as a big leaguer, struck out nine batters in six innings of scoreless, two-hit ball in a rehab start yesterday at Triple-A and is slated to come off the DL at some point next week.
Peavy missed 10 months following shoulder surgery last year, returned to make five starts with a 4.66 ERA this season, and has been on the shelf for the past two weeks with a groin injury.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)