Jun 18, 2011, 11:27 AM EDT
Brandon Lyon visited with renowned orthopedist Dr. Lewis Yocum yesterday and the news wasn’t very promising. If anything, his future is more uncertain than ever before.
According to Steve Campbell of the Houston Chronicle, Lyon will likely need season-ending surgery because his biceps tendon “is out of its groove.” If that sounds unfamiliar, you’re not alone. Yocum and Astros medical director Dr. David Lintner could not cite one pitcher who has had such a procedure.
“It’s going to come to a point where this could be some sort of surgery that’s maybe an unknown type of thing,” Lyon said. “You go in there not knowing how you’re going to recover, how you’re going to feel because there’s no track record. The doctors don’t really know.”
Lyon has an ugly 11.48 ERA, four blown saves and a 6/5 K/BB ratio over 15 appearances this season. He has already made two trips to the disabled list.
As you might remember, the Astros were highly-criticized when they signed Lyon to a three-year, $15 million contract in December of 2009. The veteran reliever is still owed $5.5 million next season.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)