Jun 18, 2011, 11:27 AM EDT
Brandon Lyon visited with renowned orthopedist Dr. Lewis Yocum yesterday and the news wasn’t very promising. If anything, his future is more uncertain than ever before.
According to Steve Campbell of the Houston Chronicle, Lyon will likely need season-ending surgery because his biceps tendon “is out of its groove.” If that sounds unfamiliar, you’re not alone. Yocum and Astros medical director Dr. David Lintner could not cite one pitcher who has had such a procedure.
“It’s going to come to a point where this could be some sort of surgery that’s maybe an unknown type of thing,” Lyon said. “You go in there not knowing how you’re going to recover, how you’re going to feel because there’s no track record. The doctors don’t really know.”
Lyon has an ugly 11.48 ERA, four blown saves and a 6/5 K/BB ratio over 15 appearances this season. He has already made two trips to the disabled list.
As you might remember, the Astros were highly-criticized when they signed Lyon to a three-year, $15 million contract in December of 2009. The veteran reliever is still owed $5.5 million next season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)