Jun 18, 2011, 11:27 AM EDT
Brandon Lyon visited with renowned orthopedist Dr. Lewis Yocum yesterday and the news wasn’t very promising. If anything, his future is more uncertain than ever before.
According to Steve Campbell of the Houston Chronicle, Lyon will likely need season-ending surgery because his biceps tendon “is out of its groove.” If that sounds unfamiliar, you’re not alone. Yocum and Astros medical director Dr. David Lintner could not cite one pitcher who has had such a procedure.
“It’s going to come to a point where this could be some sort of surgery that’s maybe an unknown type of thing,” Lyon said. “You go in there not knowing how you’re going to recover, how you’re going to feel because there’s no track record. The doctors don’t really know.”
Lyon has an ugly 11.48 ERA, four blown saves and a 6/5 K/BB ratio over 15 appearances this season. He has already made two trips to the disabled list.
As you might remember, the Astros were highly-criticized when they signed Lyon to a three-year, $15 million contract in December of 2009. The veteran reliever is still owed $5.5 million next season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 5
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 8
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 8
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)