Jun 18, 2011, 11:27 AM EDT
Brandon Lyon visited with renowned orthopedist Dr. Lewis Yocum yesterday and the news wasn’t very promising. If anything, his future is more uncertain than ever before.
According to Steve Campbell of the Houston Chronicle, Lyon will likely need season-ending surgery because his biceps tendon “is out of its groove.” If that sounds unfamiliar, you’re not alone. Yocum and Astros medical director Dr. David Lintner could not cite one pitcher who has had such a procedure.
“It’s going to come to a point where this could be some sort of surgery that’s maybe an unknown type of thing,” Lyon said. “You go in there not knowing how you’re going to recover, how you’re going to feel because there’s no track record. The doctors don’t really know.”
Lyon has an ugly 11.48 ERA, four blown saves and a 6/5 K/BB ratio over 15 appearances this season. He has already made two trips to the disabled list.
As you might remember, the Astros were highly-criticized when they signed Lyon to a three-year, $15 million contract in December of 2009. The veteran reliever is still owed $5.5 million next season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 7
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 15
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)