Jun 18, 2011, 11:27 AM EDT
Brandon Lyon visited with renowned orthopedist Dr. Lewis Yocum yesterday and the news wasn’t very promising. If anything, his future is more uncertain than ever before.
According to Steve Campbell of the Houston Chronicle, Lyon will likely need season-ending surgery because his biceps tendon “is out of its groove.” If that sounds unfamiliar, you’re not alone. Yocum and Astros medical director Dr. David Lintner could not cite one pitcher who has had such a procedure.
“It’s going to come to a point where this could be some sort of surgery that’s maybe an unknown type of thing,” Lyon said. “You go in there not knowing how you’re going to recover, how you’re going to feel because there’s no track record. The doctors don’t really know.”
Lyon has an ugly 11.48 ERA, four blown saves and a 6/5 K/BB ratio over 15 appearances this season. He has already made two trips to the disabled list.
As you might remember, the Astros were highly-criticized when they signed Lyon to a three-year, $15 million contract in December of 2009. The veteran reliever is still owed $5.5 million next season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)