Brandon Phillips wants an extension this year, but it’s probably not going to happen

Jun 18, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT

phillips wide Getty Images

Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips has hit just .234/.279/.297 in 68 plate appearances this month and has an underwhelming .725 OPS on the season. But he’s a pretty talented defender and does have some power, albeit inconsistent.

The Reds seem to like him and are probably going to exercise his $12 million club option for 2012. They may even consider signing him to a long-term deal when he gets closer to free agency.

Phillips, though, wants the future to be sorted out this summer. He wants an extension, and he was fairly open about the matter on Saturday while speaking to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer:

“Hopefully, it happens,” said the two-time Gold Glove winner. “If it doesn’t happen this year, I feel in my head and my heart, it’s not going to happen.”

“I told the Reds and the whole world this is where I want to be. If it doesn’t happen, I’m going to be very, very disappointed. I feel like I’ve made this a second home. I bought a house here. This is where I want to be, man. The fans just took me in. I feel like I need to stay here and give back.”

“It was bothering me for a while. Even if we talked about it, I would have been OK. But nothing about it? It kind of bothered me. All I can do is go out and play and not even worry about it. I ain’t gonna lie — it was bothering me for a minute.”

Because productive middle infielders are hard to find and because Phillips is still in his prime at age 29, the asking price on that extension is going to be high. So high that the Reds’ front office is unlikely to rush into it.

Phillips may sound as if he’s willing to give the Reds a “hometown” discount, but that basically never happens.

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 18, 2011 at 8:09 PM

His batting average this season is still over .280 even with the slump this month. He is a very good second baseman.

2. metalhead65 - Jun 19, 2011 at 12:11 AM

I thought this owner wanted to win? so instead of giving him the extension they will watch him have another great year and price himself out of Cincinnati and they can use the old small market excuse. ignoring the stupid stats of today he is the best second baseman in the national league,yea yea I know about chase utley but he has been injured what the last 2 years? and if the braves were stupid enough to give uggla a big paycheck then Phillips deserves more than what he is making.

3. thenaturalmevs - Jun 19, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Yea I mean a hometown discount basically never happens Drew. Unless it’s in the case of say, a guy on Phillips’ own team (Jay Bruce). Happens in plenty of situations.

4. yettyskills - Jun 19, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Reds fan here who would take a pass on Phillips. The guy is a headcase and a sook, and for his slick glove, he will screw up easy double plays by trying to make the highlight reel as many times as he steals a basehit from someone.

• metalhead65 - Jun 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM

you are not much of a fan if you do not want the reds to resign. hate to break it to you but they are not going to hand the job to some hot shot kid in triple A.no uncle walt will scour the landscape for any for cardinal who can still walk and drastically overpay them. just like the case with renternia who he signed when nobody else wanted him and look how that has turned out for the reds.

5. okwhitefalcon - Jun 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Tough call for the Reds, slick player with a “headcase” tag who ‘s got a reputation for losing concentration at the drop of a hat.

Jocketty has never put a high $ value on second baseman although BP might be one he should reconsider.

Uggla contract looms large for comparison though, Cincy doesn’t have the TV revenue or attendance figures to make a mistake fiscally.

All this being said, Walt’s a wizard with a budget – something will get done I’d suspect.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4042)