Jun 18, 2011, 4:22 PM EST
The Red Sox have been firing on all cylinders of late, but they’ll have to live without their $142 million left fielder for at least the next 15 days.
Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that Carl Crawford was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring. Crawford suffered the injury in the first inning of last night’s game against the Brewers while beating out an infield single.
Red Sox manager Terry Francona called the decision a “no-brainer” after the team’s medical staff determined that Crawford would need to miss 10-14 days with a Grade 1 strain. Josh Reddick has been called up in a corresponding roster move and will likely share playing time in left field with Darnell McDonald, Mike Cameron and Drew Sutton during Crawford’s absence.
Crawford is batting .243/.275/.384 with six homers, 31 RBI and eight stolen bases over his first 277 plate appearances this season. While his overall numbers are underwhelming, he is batting .295 with a .794 OPS since the start of May.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)