Carl Crawford placed on disabled list with strained left hamstring

Jun 18, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT

Red Sox Crawford runs to first on single against Milwaukee Brewers during first inning of their MLB inter-league baseball game in Boston

The Red Sox have been firing on all cylinders of late, but they’ll have to live without their $142 million left fielder for at least the next 15 days.

Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that Carl Crawford was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring. Crawford suffered the injury in the first inning of last night’s game against the Brewers while beating out an infield single.

Red Sox manager Terry Francona called the decision a “no-brainer” after the team’s medical staff determined that Crawford would need to miss 10-14 days with a Grade 1 strain. Josh Reddick has been called up in a corresponding roster move and will likely share playing time in left field with Darnell McDonald, Mike Cameron and Drew Sutton during Crawford’s absence.

Crawford is batting .243/.275/.384 with six homers, 31 RBI and eight stolen bases over his first 277 plate appearances this season. While his overall numbers are underwhelming, he is batting .295 with a .794 OPS since the start of May.

1. Jack Marshall - Jun 18, 2011 at 4:27 PM

The Sox may miss what Crawford was supposed to bring to the lineup, but they sure won’t miss what he’s contributed so far.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 18, 2011 at 5:45 PM

depends on his replacement

• ryanmallettsbluntwrap - Jun 19, 2011 at 8:37 AM

your right they won’t miss those 3 walk off hits or when he gets a clutch base hit , .295 since may is pretty good , obviously he needs to play better , but Darnell McDonald and especially mike cameron suck , i mean mike cameron really sucks , ask him to get you a base hit with bases loaded on a 3-0 count in the bottom of the 9th down one run , he will find a way to strike out .

• uyf1950 - Jun 19, 2011 at 9:05 AM

My friend, he’s played in 67 games this season and if that’s all you can point to for a player that is in the 1st year of a 7 year $142M contract. Even the avid supporter of Crawford and the Red Sox would have to admit that his signing to date has been a failure. Will he improve, who knows probably but as of today he is not and may never be worth the money he signed for.
        BTW, we can all cherry pick dates. For example if I were to point out that for the month of June excluding the June 4th game (that’s 13 games) Crawford is batting .204 what does that tell you. My only point is cherry picking dates to try and make a point serves no purpose.
        But you are correct. The Red Sox in house options as replacements for Crawford are even worse. That’s just my opinion.

2. pisano - Jun 18, 2011 at 5:53 PM

There aren’t too many major league outfielders that can’t hit .240, I’m sure the Sox have a one sitting on their bench and probably doesn’t strike out near as much as Crawford.

• uyf1950 - Jun 19, 2011 at 7:53 AM

pisano, my friend. I think you have hit upon something. A very astute observation.

• pisano - Jun 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM

uyf1950… I also think a lot of his hits were of the synthetic turf variety. As we all know the ball gets through the infield much quicker, so more hits and a higher average. I remember years ago when there were a lot more stadiums with synthetic turf the rule of thumb was hitters were 20 to 30 points higher on their average because of the turf. True or not I don’t know, but that’s what was being said by the commentators and color guys.

3. dan1111 - Jun 19, 2011 at 4:28 AM

Hmmm. Is this a completely new injury, or does it explain his lack of stolen bases this year?

• uyf1950 - Jun 19, 2011 at 7:51 AM

I think his lack of stolen bases is more easily explained by looking at his OBP. It’s hard to steal a lot ob bases when you have a .275 OBP. That’s just my opinion.

• dan1111 - Jun 19, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Point taken, but even accounting for that his rate of stealing is down quite a bit.

• uyf1950 - Jun 19, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Dan, my friend. I’m not sure it is anything more then that. When you consider for the entire month of April Crawford’s OBP was .204 he had virtually no chances during that month to steal bases. In 11 of his first 24 games (the month of April) he didn’t get on base at all, no hits no walks. So I’m not sure his stolen base total would be that much different one way or another. That’s just my opinion.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5071)