Jun 18, 2011, 10:06 AM EDT
Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter was rushed to the hospital Thursday night after experiencing a “serious coughing attack” and “having shooting pains in his back,” his daughter Kimmy Bloemers wrote on a private family website yesterday. The 57-year-old Carter is currently battling Stage 4 brain cancer.
Mike Mazzeo of ESPN.com reports that Carter underwent X-rays and a CT scan on his chest and back, which revealed a case of bronchitis. After initial fears about blood clotting or pneumonia were ruled out, Carter was able to return home yesterday.
“What a huge praise that it is not as serious as it could have been,” Bloemers wrote. “However because of dad’s condition, a chest cold can drain dad’s energy more. The sweet nurse said that everything looked great, which was a relief.”
Carter began his cancer treatment earlier this month. He currently in the process of undergoing 6 1/2 weeks of radiation and a year of chemotherapy.
During last night’s game against the Angels, the Mets placed a huge “Get Well Soon” card for Carter in the Jackie Robinson Rotunda for fans to sign. Here’s a picture of one fan signing the card, courtesy of the Mets’ Twitter feed.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 23
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 62
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)