Jun 18, 2011, 10:06 AM EDT
Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter was rushed to the hospital Thursday night after experiencing a “serious coughing attack” and “having shooting pains in his back,” his daughter Kimmy Bloemers wrote on a private family website yesterday. The 57-year-old Carter is currently battling Stage 4 brain cancer.
Mike Mazzeo of ESPN.com reports that Carter underwent X-rays and a CT scan on his chest and back, which revealed a case of bronchitis. After initial fears about blood clotting or pneumonia were ruled out, Carter was able to return home yesterday.
“What a huge praise that it is not as serious as it could have been,” Bloemers wrote. “However because of dad’s condition, a chest cold can drain dad’s energy more. The sweet nurse said that everything looked great, which was a relief.”
Carter began his cancer treatment earlier this month. He currently in the process of undergoing 6 1/2 weeks of radiation and a year of chemotherapy.
During last night’s game against the Angels, the Mets placed a huge “Get Well Soon” card for Carter in the Jackie Robinson Rotunda for fans to sign. Here’s a picture of one fan signing the card, courtesy of the Mets’ Twitter feed.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)