Jun 18, 2011, 10:06 AM EDT
Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter was rushed to the hospital Thursday night after experiencing a “serious coughing attack” and “having shooting pains in his back,” his daughter Kimmy Bloemers wrote on a private family website yesterday. The 57-year-old Carter is currently battling Stage 4 brain cancer.
Mike Mazzeo of ESPN.com reports that Carter underwent X-rays and a CT scan on his chest and back, which revealed a case of bronchitis. After initial fears about blood clotting or pneumonia were ruled out, Carter was able to return home yesterday.
“What a huge praise that it is not as serious as it could have been,” Bloemers wrote. “However because of dad’s condition, a chest cold can drain dad’s energy more. The sweet nurse said that everything looked great, which was a relief.”
Carter began his cancer treatment earlier this month. He currently in the process of undergoing 6 1/2 weeks of radiation and a year of chemotherapy.
During last night’s game against the Angels, the Mets placed a huge “Get Well Soon” card for Carter in the Jackie Robinson Rotunda for fans to sign. Here’s a picture of one fan signing the card, courtesy of the Mets’ Twitter feed.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)