Jun 18, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
The great Hanley Ramirez leadoff experiment didn’t last long.
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, Ramirez has been dropped to sixth in the lineup for tonight’s game against the Rays.
Ramirez went 0-for-4 with a strikeout out of the leadoff spot last night and is 1-for-13 with a double, one walk and five strikeouts since returning from the disabled list Tuesday. This will be his first ever start out of the No. 6 spot, though he does have four at-bats there during his career.
Dropping the struggling Ramirez in the order is one thing, but installing DeWayne Wise as the leadoff hitter in his place smacks of bizarro world desperation. Then again, the Marlins have dropped eight consecutive games and are 1-16 in June, so you really can’t blame Edwin Rodriguez for losing his marbles.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)