Jun 18, 2011, 3:15 PM EST
The great Hanley Ramirez leadoff experiment didn’t last long.
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, Ramirez has been dropped to sixth in the lineup for tonight’s game against the Rays.
Ramirez went 0-for-4 with a strikeout out of the leadoff spot last night and is 1-for-13 with a double, one walk and five strikeouts since returning from the disabled list Tuesday. This will be his first ever start out of the No. 6 spot, though he does have four at-bats there during his career.
Dropping the struggling Ramirez in the order is one thing, but installing DeWayne Wise as the leadoff hitter in his place smacks of bizarro world desperation. Then again, the Marlins have dropped eight consecutive games and are 1-16 in June, so you really can’t blame Edwin Rodriguez for losing his marbles.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 9
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)