Jun 18, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
The great Hanley Ramirez leadoff experiment didn’t last long.
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, Ramirez has been dropped to sixth in the lineup for tonight’s game against the Rays.
Ramirez went 0-for-4 with a strikeout out of the leadoff spot last night and is 1-for-13 with a double, one walk and five strikeouts since returning from the disabled list Tuesday. This will be his first ever start out of the No. 6 spot, though he does have four at-bats there during his career.
Dropping the struggling Ramirez in the order is one thing, but installing DeWayne Wise as the leadoff hitter in his place smacks of bizarro world desperation. Then again, the Marlins have dropped eight consecutive games and are 1-16 in June, so you really can’t blame Edwin Rodriguez for losing his marbles.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)