Jun 18, 2011, 8:46 PM EST
Pence reported feeling soreness in his arm after taking batting practice and was removed from the batting order an hour or so before first pitch. Jason Bourgeois took his place and will bat second against Dodgers right-hander Rubby De La Rosa.
The Astros are calling Pence “day-to-day” and will evaluate him again before Sunday’s series finale.
The 28-year-old is batting a healthy .321/.361/.497 with nine home runs and 51 RBI in 70 games this year. He’s been one of the few bright spots in what has been a hideous first half for Houston.
UPDATE: Pence will fly back to Houston on Sunday afternoon for an MRI, according to Steve Campbell of the Houston Chronicle. It’s a precautionary exam, but also an indication that the ‘Stros are worried.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)