Jun 18, 2011, 8:46 PM EDT
Pence reported feeling soreness in his arm after taking batting practice and was removed from the batting order an hour or so before first pitch. Jason Bourgeois took his place and will bat second against Dodgers right-hander Rubby De La Rosa.
The Astros are calling Pence “day-to-day” and will evaluate him again before Sunday’s series finale.
The 28-year-old is batting a healthy .321/.361/.497 with nine home runs and 51 RBI in 70 games this year. He’s been one of the few bright spots in what has been a hideous first half for Houston.
UPDATE: Pence will fly back to Houston on Sunday afternoon for an MRI, according to Steve Campbell of the Houston Chronicle. It’s a precautionary exam, but also an indication that the ‘Stros are worried.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (86)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)