Jun 18, 2011, 9:39 AM EDT
As Drew mentioned the other day, Jake Peavy was dominant in his most recent rehab start with Triple-A Charlotte on Thursday night, striking out nine over six scoreless innings. While there’s nothing official yet, White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper told Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times yesterday that Peavy could return from the disabled list as soon as next Wednesday against the crosstown Cubs.
“Without discussing it with Ozzie and [GM] Kenny [Williams], it looks like he’s lined up for the last game against the Cubs,’’ Cooper said. “That’s unofficial, as well as the six-man rotation. But all of that is going to be discussed and probably shook out after the game today or tomorrow. We’ll talk more about it.”
Peavy offered to return as a reliever earlier this week, but it appears that the White Sox will move ahead with a six-man rotation once he’s ready.
Peavy has a 4.66 ERA, 20/4 K/BB ratio and 0.99 WHIP in five major league starts this season. The veteran right-hander has missed the past two weeks with a groin injury.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 3
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 37
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)