Jun 18, 2011, 9:39 AM EDT
As Drew mentioned the other day, Jake Peavy was dominant in his most recent rehab start with Triple-A Charlotte on Thursday night, striking out nine over six scoreless innings. While there’s nothing official yet, White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper told Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times yesterday that Peavy could return from the disabled list as soon as next Wednesday against the crosstown Cubs.
“Without discussing it with Ozzie and [GM] Kenny [Williams], it looks like he’s lined up for the last game against the Cubs,’’ Cooper said. “That’s unofficial, as well as the six-man rotation. But all of that is going to be discussed and probably shook out after the game today or tomorrow. We’ll talk more about it.”
Peavy offered to return as a reliever earlier this week, but it appears that the White Sox will move ahead with a six-man rotation once he’s ready.
Peavy has a 4.66 ERA, 20/4 K/BB ratio and 0.99 WHIP in five major league starts this season. The veteran right-hander has missed the past two weeks with a groin injury.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)