Jun 18, 2011, 9:39 AM EST
As Drew mentioned the other day, Jake Peavy was dominant in his most recent rehab start with Triple-A Charlotte on Thursday night, striking out nine over six scoreless innings. While there’s nothing official yet, White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper told Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times yesterday that Peavy could return from the disabled list as soon as next Wednesday against the crosstown Cubs.
“Without discussing it with Ozzie and [GM] Kenny [Williams], it looks like he’s lined up for the last game against the Cubs,’’ Cooper said. “That’s unofficial, as well as the six-man rotation. But all of that is going to be discussed and probably shook out after the game today or tomorrow. We’ll talk more about it.”
Peavy offered to return as a reliever earlier this week, but it appears that the White Sox will move ahead with a six-man rotation once he’s ready.
Peavy has a 4.66 ERA, 20/4 K/BB ratio and 0.99 WHIP in five major league starts this season. The veteran right-hander has missed the past two weeks with a groin injury.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)