Jun 18, 2011, 6:33 PM EDT
Stanton was scheduled to serve as Florida’s designated hitter on Saturday night against the Rays but was lifted a few hours before first pitch. Jose Lopez, who inked a minor league contract with the Marlins just nine days ago, will play DH instead.
Stanton has 16 home runs and 41 RBI in 67 games this season. He first showed the world his immense power potential last year with 22 homers in 100 games. The hope is he’ll be back after a day of rest.
The Marlins are in last place in the National League East with a 32-38 record, 11 1/2 games out of first.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 41
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 72
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 26
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 132
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 32
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 110
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 89
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (132)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (112)