Jun 18, 2011, 6:33 PM EDT
Stanton was scheduled to serve as Florida’s designated hitter on Saturday night against the Rays but was lifted a few hours before first pitch. Jose Lopez, who inked a minor league contract with the Marlins just nine days ago, will play DH instead.
Stanton has 16 home runs and 41 RBI in 67 games this season. He first showed the world his immense power potential last year with 22 homers in 100 games. The hope is he’ll be back after a day of rest.
The Marlins are in last place in the National League East with a 32-38 record, 11 1/2 games out of first.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)