Jun 18, 2011, 6:33 PM EDT
Stanton was scheduled to serve as Florida’s designated hitter on Saturday night against the Rays but was lifted a few hours before first pitch. Jose Lopez, who inked a minor league contract with the Marlins just nine days ago, will play DH instead.
Stanton has 16 home runs and 41 RBI in 67 games this season. He first showed the world his immense power potential last year with 22 homers in 100 games. The hope is he’ll be back after a day of rest.
The Marlins are in last place in the National League East with a 32-38 record, 11 1/2 games out of first.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)