Jun 18, 2011, 6:33 PM EST
Stanton was scheduled to serve as Florida’s designated hitter on Saturday night against the Rays but was lifted a few hours before first pitch. Jose Lopez, who inked a minor league contract with the Marlins just nine days ago, will play DH instead.
Stanton has 16 home runs and 41 RBI in 67 games this season. He first showed the world his immense power potential last year with 22 homers in 100 games. The hope is he’ll be back after a day of rest.
The Marlins are in last place in the National League East with a 32-38 record, 11 1/2 games out of first.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 0
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)