Jun 18, 2011, 6:33 PM EDT
Stanton was scheduled to serve as Florida’s designated hitter on Saturday night against the Rays but was lifted a few hours before first pitch. Jose Lopez, who inked a minor league contract with the Marlins just nine days ago, will play DH instead.
Stanton has 16 home runs and 41 RBI in 67 games this season. He first showed the world his immense power potential last year with 22 homers in 100 games. The hope is he’ll be back after a day of rest.
The Marlins are in last place in the National League East with a 32-38 record, 11 1/2 games out of first.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 65
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)