Jun 18, 2011, 12:22 AM EDT
Jose Reyes is likely going to create a bidding war this winter, but there’s apparently one going on behind the scenes right now.
Major league sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that super agent Scott Boras is speaking with pending free agent Jose Reyes about becoming his agent. In fact, one source tells Rosenthal that Reyes met with other agents during spring training and was apparently mulling over making a change.
Reyes is currently represented by Peter Greenberg, who negotiated the shortstop’s four-year, $23.25 million contract with the Mets back in 2006. Boras isn’t violating any rules by communicating with Reyes, as agents are permitted to talk with other agents’ clients.
Of course, Boras’ modus operandi is for his clients to test the free agent waters, usually for the most money possible, so a switch to Boras would seem to hurt the Mets’ chances of keeping Reyes in the long-term. For what it’s worth, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York would be surprised if Reyes made the change, noting that one of his agents under Greenberg, Chris Leible, is a godfather to one of his children. Then again, this might be Reyes’ only shot at a long-term contract, so money can change things. And as we all know by now, Boras has a history of delivering for his clients.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 50
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 69
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)