Jun 18, 2011, 12:22 AM EDT
Jose Reyes is likely going to create a bidding war this winter, but there’s apparently one going on behind the scenes right now.
Major league sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that super agent Scott Boras is speaking with pending free agent Jose Reyes about becoming his agent. In fact, one source tells Rosenthal that Reyes met with other agents during spring training and was apparently mulling over making a change.
Reyes is currently represented by Peter Greenberg, who negotiated the shortstop’s four-year, $23.25 million contract with the Mets back in 2006. Boras isn’t violating any rules by communicating with Reyes, as agents are permitted to talk with other agents’ clients.
Of course, Boras’ modus operandi is for his clients to test the free agent waters, usually for the most money possible, so a switch to Boras would seem to hurt the Mets’ chances of keeping Reyes in the long-term. For what it’s worth, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York would be surprised if Reyes made the change, noting that one of his agents under Greenberg, Chris Leible, is a godfather to one of his children. Then again, this might be Reyes’ only shot at a long-term contract, so money can change things. And as we all know by now, Boras has a history of delivering for his clients.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 5
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 25
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)