Jun 18, 2011, 12:22 AM EST
Jose Reyes is likely going to create a bidding war this winter, but there’s apparently one going on behind the scenes right now.
Major league sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that super agent Scott Boras is speaking with pending free agent Jose Reyes about becoming his agent. In fact, one source tells Rosenthal that Reyes met with other agents during spring training and was apparently mulling over making a change.
Reyes is currently represented by Peter Greenberg, who negotiated the shortstop’s four-year, $23.25 million contract with the Mets back in 2006. Boras isn’t violating any rules by communicating with Reyes, as agents are permitted to talk with other agents’ clients.
Of course, Boras’ modus operandi is for his clients to test the free agent waters, usually for the most money possible, so a switch to Boras would seem to hurt the Mets’ chances of keeping Reyes in the long-term. For what it’s worth, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York would be surprised if Reyes made the change, noting that one of his agents under Greenberg, Chris Leible, is a godfather to one of his children. Then again, this might be Reyes’ only shot at a long-term contract, so money can change things. And as we all know by now, Boras has a history of delivering for his clients.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 16
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 179
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 103
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (197)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)