Jun 18, 2011, 12:22 AM EST
Jose Reyes is likely going to create a bidding war this winter, but there’s apparently one going on behind the scenes right now.
Major league sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that super agent Scott Boras is speaking with pending free agent Jose Reyes about becoming his agent. In fact, one source tells Rosenthal that Reyes met with other agents during spring training and was apparently mulling over making a change.
Reyes is currently represented by Peter Greenberg, who negotiated the shortstop’s four-year, $23.25 million contract with the Mets back in 2006. Boras isn’t violating any rules by communicating with Reyes, as agents are permitted to talk with other agents’ clients.
Of course, Boras’ modus operandi is for his clients to test the free agent waters, usually for the most money possible, so a switch to Boras would seem to hurt the Mets’ chances of keeping Reyes in the long-term. For what it’s worth, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York would be surprised if Reyes made the change, noting that one of his agents under Greenberg, Chris Leible, is a godfather to one of his children. Then again, this might be Reyes’ only shot at a long-term contract, so money can change things. And as we all know by now, Boras has a history of delivering for his clients.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 6
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 51
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)