Jun 18, 2011, 12:22 AM EDT
Jose Reyes is likely going to create a bidding war this winter, but there’s apparently one going on behind the scenes right now.
Major league sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that super agent Scott Boras is speaking with pending free agent Jose Reyes about becoming his agent. In fact, one source tells Rosenthal that Reyes met with other agents during spring training and was apparently mulling over making a change.
Reyes is currently represented by Peter Greenberg, who negotiated the shortstop’s four-year, $23.25 million contract with the Mets back in 2006. Boras isn’t violating any rules by communicating with Reyes, as agents are permitted to talk with other agents’ clients.
Of course, Boras’ modus operandi is for his clients to test the free agent waters, usually for the most money possible, so a switch to Boras would seem to hurt the Mets’ chances of keeping Reyes in the long-term. For what it’s worth, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York would be surprised if Reyes made the change, noting that one of his agents under Greenberg, Chris Leible, is a godfather to one of his children. Then again, this might be Reyes’ only shot at a long-term contract, so money can change things. And as we all know by now, Boras has a history of delivering for his clients.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)