Jun 18, 2011, 10:42 AM EDT
The Yankees have signed supplemental first-round pick Dante Bichette Jr., according to Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger. He receives a signing bonus of $750,000 and will join the GCL Yankees when their season begins Monday.
Bichette, 18, was selected 51st overall in this month’s First-Year Player Draft. The Yankees received the pick as compensation after Javier Vazquez signed with the Marlins during the offseason. It was their highest selection in the draft.
Highly regarded for his power potential from the right side of the plate, Baseball America ranked Bichette as the 108th best player in this year’s draft class. Though he was drafted as a third baseman, many expect he will eventually end up in the outfield.
You never know with a guy this young, but at least Bichette has the bloodlines in his favor. His father Dante had a .299 batting average, 1,906 hits and 274 home runs over 14 major league seasons between the Rockies, Angels, Red Sox, Brewers and Reds.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)