Jun 19, 2011, 2:15 PM EDT
With left-hander Andrew Miller arriving in the majors Monday and two scheduled off days before the end of June, the Red Sox have decided to give right-hander Clay Buchholz some needed rest.
According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, Buchholz was placed on the 15-day disabled list before Sunday’s game due to the lower back strain that he suffered on Thursday night against the Rays. It’s not a serious injury and the hope is that he will feel well enough to return to the major league rotation around July 2, the first day he’s eligible.
Buchholz, 26, has a 3.48 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and 60 strikeouts through 82 2/3 innings this season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 0
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 28
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 105
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (106)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (80)