Jun 19, 2011, 2:15 PM EST
With left-hander Andrew Miller arriving in the majors Monday and two scheduled off days before the end of June, the Red Sox have decided to give right-hander Clay Buchholz some needed rest.
According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, Buchholz was placed on the 15-day disabled list before Sunday’s game due to the lower back strain that he suffered on Thursday night against the Rays. It’s not a serious injury and the hope is that he will feel well enough to return to the major league rotation around July 2, the first day he’s eligible.
Buchholz, 26, has a 3.48 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and 60 strikeouts through 82 2/3 innings this season.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 23
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 18
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (74)