Jun 19, 2011, 2:15 PM EDT
With left-hander Andrew Miller arriving in the majors Monday and two scheduled off days before the end of June, the Red Sox have decided to give right-hander Clay Buchholz some needed rest.
According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, Buchholz was placed on the 15-day disabled list before Sunday’s game due to the lower back strain that he suffered on Thursday night against the Rays. It’s not a serious injury and the hope is that he will feel well enough to return to the major league rotation around July 2, the first day he’s eligible.
Buchholz, 26, has a 3.48 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and 60 strikeouts through 82 2/3 innings this season.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million