Jun 19, 2011, 2:15 PM EDT
With left-hander Andrew Miller arriving in the majors Monday and two scheduled off days before the end of June, the Red Sox have decided to give right-hander Clay Buchholz some needed rest.
According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, Buchholz was placed on the 15-day disabled list before Sunday’s game due to the lower back strain that he suffered on Thursday night against the Rays. It’s not a serious injury and the hope is that he will feel well enough to return to the major league rotation around July 2, the first day he’s eligible.
Buchholz, 26, has a 3.48 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and 60 strikeouts through 82 2/3 innings this season.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)