Jun 19, 2011, 11:52 AM EDT
According to the Marlins’ official Twitter feed, manager Edwin Rodriguez announced his resignation before Sunday’s game. Bench coach Brandon Hyde is taking over the post on an interim basis, but 80-year-old Jack McKeon is also in consideration to finish out the season as skipper.
Rodriguez had been on the hot seat since the Marlins let go of hitting coach John Mallee in early June, and he decided to end the suffering himself after Saturday night’s 7-4 defeat in Tampa Bay. It was Florida’s 17th loss in the last 18 games.
The Fish courted ESPN analyst Bobby Valentine this past offseason and also showed heavy interest in current Nationals third base coach Bo Porter. They might look to make a long-term hire before the year is through. Or, as Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports suggests, the Marlins could wait until the offseason to make a run at White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.
Rodriguez led the Marlins to a 46-46 finish in 2010 and managed the club to a 32-39 record this year. It’s not yet known if the 50-year-old native of Ponce, Puerto Rico will attempt to continue coaching.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)