Jun 19, 2011, 11:52 AM EDT
According to the Marlins’ official Twitter feed, manager Edwin Rodriguez announced his resignation before Sunday’s game. Bench coach Brandon Hyde is taking over the post on an interim basis, but 80-year-old Jack McKeon is also in consideration to finish out the season as skipper.
Rodriguez had been on the hot seat since the Marlins let go of hitting coach John Mallee in early June, and he decided to end the suffering himself after Saturday night’s 7-4 defeat in Tampa Bay. It was Florida’s 17th loss in the last 18 games.
The Fish courted ESPN analyst Bobby Valentine this past offseason and also showed heavy interest in current Nationals third base coach Bo Porter. They might look to make a long-term hire before the year is through. Or, as Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports suggests, the Marlins could wait until the offseason to make a run at White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.
Rodriguez led the Marlins to a 46-46 finish in 2010 and managed the club to a 32-39 record this year. It’s not yet known if the 50-year-old native of Ponce, Puerto Rico will attempt to continue coaching.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)