Jun 19, 2011, 11:52 AM EDT
According to the Marlins’ official Twitter feed, manager Edwin Rodriguez announced his resignation before Sunday’s game. Bench coach Brandon Hyde is taking over the post on an interim basis, but 80-year-old Jack McKeon is also in consideration to finish out the season as skipper.
Rodriguez had been on the hot seat since the Marlins let go of hitting coach John Mallee in early June, and he decided to end the suffering himself after Saturday night’s 7-4 defeat in Tampa Bay. It was Florida’s 17th loss in the last 18 games.
The Fish courted ESPN analyst Bobby Valentine this past offseason and also showed heavy interest in current Nationals third base coach Bo Porter. They might look to make a long-term hire before the year is through. Or, as Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports suggests, the Marlins could wait until the offseason to make a run at White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.
Rodriguez led the Marlins to a 46-46 finish in 2010 and managed the club to a 32-39 record this year. It’s not yet known if the 50-year-old native of Ponce, Puerto Rico will attempt to continue coaching.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 16
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 11
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 40
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires