Jun 19, 2011, 11:41 AM EST
As first reported on the Cleveland Indians’ official Twitter feed, major league hitting coach Jon Nunnally was fired before Sunday’s game and Bruce Fields was named as his replacement.
Nunnally had been with the Tribe in a coaching capacity since 2006 and was named hitting coach in December of 2009. The Indians entered Sunday’s action ranked 12th in the majors in runs scored and 13th in team OPS but have struggled to maintain a firm grasp on first place in the American League Central. Nunnally, a former major league outfielder, will likely try to continue his coaching career with another organization. He is only 39 years old.
Fields served as the Tigers’ hitting coach from 2003-2005 and was operating this season as the Indians’ minor league hitting coordinator. He played three seasons in the major leagues.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)