Jun 19, 2011, 11:41 AM EST
As first reported on the Cleveland Indians’ official Twitter feed, major league hitting coach Jon Nunnally was fired before Sunday’s game and Bruce Fields was named as his replacement.
Nunnally had been with the Tribe in a coaching capacity since 2006 and was named hitting coach in December of 2009. The Indians entered Sunday’s action ranked 12th in the majors in runs scored and 13th in team OPS but have struggled to maintain a firm grasp on first place in the American League Central. Nunnally, a former major league outfielder, will likely try to continue his coaching career with another organization. He is only 39 years old.
Fields served as the Tigers’ hitting coach from 2003-2005 and was operating this season as the Indians’ minor league hitting coordinator. He played three seasons in the major leagues.
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 4
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)