Jun 19, 2011, 5:26 PM EDT
Yeah, that Jack McKeon.
According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, it is owner Jeffrey Loria’s desire that the 80-year-old former skipper returns to Major League Baseball as interim manager of the Marlins.
Edwin Rodriguez announced his resignation on Sunday morning after leading the Marlins to a 32-39 start, and most recently a 1-17 rut. Bench coach Brandon Hyde served as manager in Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Rays and is also being considered for the interim post.
If McKeon is offered the gig and accepts, he will become the second-oldest manager in baseball history. A native of South Amboy, New Jersey, he managed the Royals from 1973-1975, the A’s from 1977-1978, the Padres from 1988-1990 and the Reds from 1997-2000. He won a World Series with the Marlins in 2003 then retired after the ’05 season. There are indications that he would be willing to come back on a one-year pact.
The Marlins are likely to begin their search for a long-term option after the regular season. FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal suggested Sunday morning that White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen will be a target.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 39
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 70
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (168)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)