Jun 19, 2011, 1:23 PM EDT
Tom Gorzelanny was activated in a corresponding move and will take the mound Sunday afternoon against the Orioles. He missed almost a full month with inflammation in his throwing shoulder.
Ankiel suffered the ribcage strain on Tuesday of last week while fielding a Ryan Theriot base hit. He took batting practice before Sunday’s game and has been able to do most baseball-related activities, but the Nationals were worried that Ankiel would only make things worse by trying to play through the injury at full speed. He’s eligible to return July 1.
The 31-year-old former pitcher is batting .204/.271/.276 with one homer and nine RBI in 48 games this year.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (106)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)