Jun 19, 2011, 1:23 PM EDT
Tom Gorzelanny was activated in a corresponding move and will take the mound Sunday afternoon against the Orioles. He missed almost a full month with inflammation in his throwing shoulder.
Ankiel suffered the ribcage strain on Tuesday of last week while fielding a Ryan Theriot base hit. He took batting practice before Sunday’s game and has been able to do most baseball-related activities, but the Nationals were worried that Ankiel would only make things worse by trying to play through the injury at full speed. He’s eligible to return July 1.
The 31-year-old former pitcher is batting .204/.271/.276 with one homer and nine RBI in 48 games this year.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 0
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 9
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)