Jun 19, 2011, 1:23 PM EDT
Tom Gorzelanny was activated in a corresponding move and will take the mound Sunday afternoon against the Orioles. He missed almost a full month with inflammation in his throwing shoulder.
Ankiel suffered the ribcage strain on Tuesday of last week while fielding a Ryan Theriot base hit. He took batting practice before Sunday’s game and has been able to do most baseball-related activities, but the Nationals were worried that Ankiel would only make things worse by trying to play through the injury at full speed. He’s eligible to return July 1.
The 31-year-old former pitcher is batting .204/.271/.276 with one homer and nine RBI in 48 games this year.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games