Jun 19, 2011, 1:23 PM EDT
Tom Gorzelanny was activated in a corresponding move and will take the mound Sunday afternoon against the Orioles. He missed almost a full month with inflammation in his throwing shoulder.
Ankiel suffered the ribcage strain on Tuesday of last week while fielding a Ryan Theriot base hit. He took batting practice before Sunday’s game and has been able to do most baseball-related activities, but the Nationals were worried that Ankiel would only make things worse by trying to play through the injury at full speed. He’s eligible to return July 1.
The 31-year-old former pitcher is batting .204/.271/.276 with one homer and nine RBI in 48 games this year.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)