Jun 20, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
At the time it looked much worse than the initial diagnosis of a sprain and sure enough the Cardinals have announced that Albert Pujols will be out for 4-6 weeks after further examination revealed a “non-displaced fracture” in his left forearm, near his wrist.
Losing him for at least a month is obviously a huge blow to the Cardinals, particularly since Pujols had successfully recovered from a career-worst start to hit .317 with eight homers and a 1.197 OPS in 17 games this month.
With that said, similar injuries on collisions at first base have caused players to miss significantly more than 4-6 weeks–with Cliff Floyd and his shattered wrist being one prominent example from 2000–and even the far end of that timetable would have Pujols returning in early August with 50 games left on the schedule.
Presumably the Cardinals will shift Lance Berkman to first base, with Jon Jay taking over as the primary right fielder. Another option would be to call up 26-year-old Mark Hamilton from Triple-A, where he’s hit .317 with 26 homers and a .971 OPS in three career stints totaling 145 games, and use him at first base while keeping Berkman in the outfield. St. Louis is relatively well-equipped to handle Pujols’ absence, but keeping pace with the Brewers and Reds atop the NL Central for even six weeks while waiting for the three-time MVP to return is asking a lot.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 26
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)