Jun 20, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT
Frank McCourt’s attorney Steve Susman has released a statement in response to commissioner Bud Selig’s rejection of the proposed television deal between the Dodgers and FOX.
And predictably, they aren’t very happy.
Here’s part of the statement, courtesy of the Los Angeles Times:
“We are extremely disappointed with the Commissioner’s rejection of the proposed FOX transaction which would inject $235 million into the Los Angeles Dodgers. As Commissioner Selig well knows, this transaction would make the Dodgers financially secure for the long term and one of the best capitalized teams in Major League Baseball.
“…Commissioner Selig’s letter of rejection is not only a disappointment, but worse, is potentially destructive to the Los Angeles Dodgers, and Major League Baseball. Accordingly, we plan to explore vigorously our options and remedies with respect to Commissioner Selig’s rejection of the proposed FOX transaction and our commitment to protect the long-term best interests of the Los Angeles Dodgers.”
Of course, it was reported last week that the loan from FOX is actually worth $385 million, so roughly $150 million will go directly to the McCourts and their lawyers. Sweet deal. Who is Frank looking out for, exactly? Somehow I don’t think the Dodgers and MLB, or the fans, are high on his list of priorities.
This agreement simply never had a chance. Unfortunately today’s events are probably only the beginning of an ugly and protracted legal battle.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (105)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)