HBT Daily: Jack McKeon? Why not?

Jun 20, 2011, 3:30 PM EST

Tiffany and I discuss the Marlins' hiring of Jack McKeon to be their interim manager. I'm pretty OK with this, actually.
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. Jonny 5 - Jun 20, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I think this could be a disaster in the making. Hanley will not like this guy. And he may just not be able to keep up with the team for the rest of the season.

Although, I do wish him the best. Nothing cooler than reaching the ripe age of 80 and still being able to work in baseball.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 20, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Maybe I should take the part about Hanley back? It’s not fair of me to decide how he’ll feel about JM. Not yet anyway….

• Old Gator - Jun 20, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I think at this point the Feesh would love to unload Hanley and his Brobdingnagian contract. But no one is going to be stupid enough to take him now.

And I agree with you: Hanley, even though by all accounts he has grown up quite a bit and made serious efforts to represent himself more favorably to his teammates and to the fans in terms of attitude, is not going to be thrilled with McKeon.

But as I’ve said before, I don’t think McKeon is fit for the job. This isn’t the same clubhouse he took over eight years ago; that one was indifferent at worst and this one is depressed and disoriented and, if you can believe even some of what you read, still deeply resentful of the firing of John Mallee, the attempted demotion of Chris Coghlan and the humiliating manner in which it was handled. They don’t much like the Chihuahua anyway. And there’s no Dontrelle Willis coming up from the minors to galvanize the team. Trader Jack has Kindly Uncle Wes and/or Greg Dobbs as imitation third basemen instead of Mike Lowell in his prime. He had a team of top-flight situational hitters in 2003 and he now has, I believe, the worst or second-worst RISP team in MLB.

And McKeon, whose mnemoic powers were challenged in 2003, is now eight years of cigar smoke older. It’d be great if he was elementally cantankerous enough to blow off the stresses of the job and if the entire team takes a cue from Maud Oakes and reverences their tribal elder. I fear, though, that they’re going to think they’re being managed by the Undead Jack.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 21, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Well that didn’t take long did it? I guess it’s time to reissue that statement huh Gator?

Hanley will not like this guy.

• Old Gator - Jun 21, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Go ahead and reissue it. I’ll move some of the advertising from this page to the next one to make room.

2. Utley's Hair - Jun 20, 2011 at 4:12 PM

But, Craig, would Jack McKeon wear those glasses?

• bigxrob - Jun 20, 2011 at 4:56 PM

He used to, in the 1950’s….

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester